Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello everyone, I am currently preparing a master's thesis on sociolinguistics about a certain feature of English pronunciation and I need recordings of Londoners reading a list of words and a short text, in order to analyse them (I assumed that having a microphone on one's computer has become commonplace now).
I am not sure that my request is appropriate within this forum (?), this is why I will not provide more details yet.
Thank you for your answers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone, I am currently preparing a master's thesis on sociolinguistics about a certain feature of English pronunciation and I need recordings of Londoners reading a list of words and a short text, in order to analyse them (I assumed that having a microphone on one's computer has become commonplace now).
I am not sure that my request is appropriate within this forum (?), this is why I will not provide more details yet.
Thank you for your answers.

Can I assume that you mean people who were born and brought up in London, as opposed to people who simply live there now (who would also call themselves Londoners after they've lived there a while)?

London covers rather a large area and within that one city there are several different accents/pronunciations.

lou.o

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thank you for your answer.
In fact I meant people who simply live there (the accentological diversity within London is precisely part of the topic I'm studying).
I cannot reveal the nature of the feature I intend to survey, otherwise it would skew the results.
Are you a Londoner yourself ?

Alamshar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
Your question is a bit vague. The accent most associated with London is "cockney" but it is a specific to certain places and inhabitants.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Out of curiosity, why not those that have lived there- I don't live there now, but lived there for many years. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your answer.
In fact I meant people who simply live there (the accentological diversity within London is precisely part of the topic I'm studying).
I cannot reveal the nature of the feature I intend to survey, otherwise it would skew the results.
Are you a Londoner yourself ?

No, I'm not a Londoner. However, I'm still confused as to who you want. If you simply want people who live in London, as you said above, then you're not necessarily going to get any London accents at all. You'll get an Australian, a Mancunian, a Sri Lankan, a Geordie, a Nigerian, two Essex girls, a Scot, an Irish guy, a Northern Irish guy etc etc. You get the picture.

If you want people who live in London, then you're going to get people from all over the world. If you want people who are London born and bred or at least people who grew up there and have therefore probably hung on to their "London accent" then you need to specify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.