Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teachers

I am confused, not sure if I should use "the" in the following sentence. Also cater or cater for. And, is it better to use simple past rather than present perfect tense in the following?

[The renowned/ Renowned] jewelry brand Tiffany has also chosen to [cater/ cater for] [the local/ local] [tastes/taste] and has focused on engagement jewelry rather than sliver in China.

Regards

Anthony the learner

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Teachers

I am confused, not sure if I should use "the" in the following sentence. Also cater or cater for. And, is it better to use simple past rather than present perfect tense in the following?

[The renowned/ Renowned] (could be used with either term , probably used more often without the article, especially in the news media) jewelry brand Tiffany has also chosen to [cater/ cater for] (I would use "cater to") [the local/ local] (either, but I would use without the article) [tastes/taste] (taste) and has focused on engagement jewelry rather than sliver in China.

Regards

Anthony the learner

b.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Teachers

[The renowned/ Renowned] jewelry brand Tiffany has also chosen to [cater/ cater for] [the local/ local] [tastes/taste] and has focused on engagement jewelry rather than sliver in China.

Regards

Anthony the learner

For me, the most natural sentence would be "The renowned jewellery brand Tiffany has also chosen to cater to local taste and has focused on engagement jewellery, rather than silver, in China".

It's a rather strange sentence though. I don't really understand the point.

In China, Tiffany are focusing on engagement jewellery instead of silver, because engagement jewellery is the local taste? Is that what it means?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
For me, the most natural sentence would be "The renowned jewellery brand Tiffany has also chosen to cater to local taste and has focused on engagement jewellery, rather than silver, in China".

It's a rather strange sentence though. I don't really understand the point.

In China, Tiffany are focusing on engagement jewellery instead of silver, because engagement jewellery is the local taste? Is that what it means?

What is "engagement jewellery", apart from the obvious "engagement ring", and what does it have to do with silver?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is "engagement jewellery", apart from the obvious "engagement ring", and what does it have to do with silver?

Found on a website about Chinese marriage customs:

Engagement: if the match was auspicious, the man's family would ask the matchmaker to arrange the preliminaries for the marriage with some gifts and a formal letter called the 'Appointment Book', after which the two families would exchange the girl's and the man's birthday records as the evidence of the engagement. Subsequently, the man's family would make preparation for the marriage. The girl's family would also assemble for the dowry such as bedding, chests, jewelry, clothing, silk & satin, plates, and some rich family even used house and store as the dowry.

Maybe it's more complicated than just an engagement ring. I don't know why they had to differentiate between that and silver, unless engagement jewellery is not traditionally made of silver.

Do we have any Chinese nationals or residents who could help us out with the meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.