Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

Do you know the books by David Burke called "Street Talk - How to Speak and Understand American Slang" and "Slangman Guide to Street Speak" teaching American everyday colloquial speech and slang? I think that teachers should be familiar with them.

I was wondering if the idioms, slang and phonetic features described there are also used in British English, at least to some extent. Could someone knowledgeable comment on that? What I mean is--is it a good idea to use these books to practise everyday colloquial English when you actually use British English, not American English. For instance, would most of these American colloquial expressions be recognisable by British speakers? Would it be strange if you used these idioms and slang while using British English accent?

Do you perhaps know any similar books for learners describing British English "street talk"?

Cheers

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

Do you know the books by David Burke called "Street Talk - How to Speak and Understand American Slang" and "Slangman Guide to Street Speak" teaching American everyday colloquial speech and slang? I think that teachers should be familiar with them.

I was wondering if the idioms, slang and phonetic features described there are also used in British English, at least to some extent. Could someone knowledgeable comment on that? What I mean is--is it a good idea to use these books to practise everyday colloquial English when you actually use British English, not American English. For instance, would most of these American colloquial expressions be recognisable by British speakers? Would it be strange if you used these idioms and slang while using British English accent?

Do you perhaps know any similar books for learners describing British English "street talk"?

Cheers

I've never come across that book.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE - not a teacher]

Sorry, I have not read either of these books. But, if your goal is to assimilate and blend in to BrE culture, then of course you should not be using an American slang book to learn BrE. The book isn't called "How to Speak and Understand English Slang" ;-)

Huh? You lost me there.

Later!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
m5000, welcome to Using English.

I urge you NOT to try to emulate slang in your speech, regardless of which side of the ocean you are on. Slang changes so fast, and it often so limited to particular groups that you will almost certainly sound foolish some of the time, and are likely to sound foolish a lot of of the time.

A frequent "joke" on American television comedies is the dad or mom who tries to sound "cool" by using their children's slang. Either its use fits them so badly that they are absurd, or they are using outdated slang and it's even worse.

It's fine to learn it so you understand what is said to you, but please don't try to answer back in kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.