• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I think they wouldn't sell it.

In korea, passing by a Korean restaurant, I noticed the food menu they provide, and one of them was a traditional Korean food deodeok-gui(grilled deodeok(a variety of bellflower)), and I thought they may not sell it in Austrailia. So suddenly I came to make an expression "I think they wouldn't sell deodeok-gui in Austrailia", but I'm not sure if it's correct to express presumption or uncertainty. As Raymott said, there's no rule to tell the following three, but how can I tell one from the others? Does it all depend on context? But at least I should know any helpful reasons.

If "would" is used as an opinion, my sentence will be "I'm sure they don't sell deodeok-gui, but I'm saying it in less blunt way", but I tried to use it as presumption, so does it work? Or do I have to say "I think they might/may/could not sell it"?

would: Opinion or hope
    • I suppose some people would call it torture.
    • I would have to agree.
    • I would expect him to come.
    would: Presumption or expectation

• That would be Jo calling. I'll answer it.
    would: Uncertainty

• He would seem to be getting better. (less certain than: He seems to be getting better.)

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I think they wouldn't sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    In korea, passing by a Korean restaurant, I noticed the food menu they provide, and one of them was a traditional Korean food deodeok-gui(grilled deodeok(a variety of bellflower)), and I thought they may not sell it in Austrailia. So suddenly I came to make an expression "I think they wouldn't sell deodeok-gui in Austrailia", but I'm not sure if it's correct to express presumption or uncertainty. As Raymott said, there's no rule to tell the following three, but how can I tell one from the others? Does it all depend on context? But at least I should know any helpful reasons.

If "would" is used as an opinion, my sentence will be "I'm sure they don't sell deodeok-gui, but I'm saying it in less blunt way", but I tried to use it as presumption, so does it work? Or do I have to say "I think they might/may/could not sell it"?

would: Opinion or hope
    • I suppose some people would call it torture.
    • I would have to agree.
    • I would expect him to come.
    would: Presumption or expectation
    • That would be Jo calling. I'll answer it.
    would: Uncertainty
    • He would seem to be getting better. (less certain than: He seems to be getting better.)
    The sentence you want is "I don't think they would sell deodeok-gui in Australia.
    You know what it means. I don't know why you want to dissect every instance of "would" that you find. If you know when to use it, that's all that matters.

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, It's because I can't tell if it's presumption or an opinion when someone says "would", I mean I can't tell if the speaker is sure or unsure of it. After you told me "would" can be a less blunt way of saying your opinion you are sure of, I came into confusion. Please understand me, as you are a native speaker, it would be easy for you to tell the difference, but it's hard for me.
    For example, if you say "I would have to agree", does the context tell if you are sure or unsure of something? If you just tell me it's all the matters of context, then I won't ask about it again.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Thanks a lot, It's because I can't tell if it's presumption or an opinion when someone says "would", I mean I can't tell if the speaker is sure or unsure of it. After you told me "would" can be a less blunt way of saying your opinion you are sure of, I came into confusion. Please understand me, as you are a native speaker, it would be easy for you to tell the difference, but it's hard for me.
    For example, if you say "I would have to agree", does the context tell if you are sure or unsure of something? If you just tell me it's all the matters of context, then I won't ask about it again.
    I can't tell you not to ask about it again. All I can do is to advise you to "get a feeling" for what would means in various contexts, rather than to intellectually analyse the stuffing out of it. Obviously, it's a matter of context, and I think you have enough analystic material now to make a judgement of the 'meaning' without having to subclass it into a box.
    "I would have to agree" means "I agree" for pragmatic purposes.