English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My questions are:

1. Are 'a large number of' and 'large numbers of' used interchangeably? Which means more?

2. Like 'a lot of' and 'lots of', are 'a large number of' and 'large numbers of' used before uncountables as well as

plurals?

3. Is it possible to put 'a large number of' to modify uncountable nouns just like 'a lot of' and 'lots of'?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

My first questions are:

1. Are 'a large number of' and 'large numbers of' used interchangeably? Which means more?

2. Like 'a lot of' and 'lots of', are 'a large number of' and 'large numbers of' used before uncountables as well as
plurals?

3. Is it possible to put 'a large number of' to modify uncountable nouns just like 'a lot of' and 'lots of'?

Thank you so much.

1. 'A large number' refers generally to one group. 'Large numbers' means more than one group, and these groups may be large or small, but the total is large. The total number of individuals is not a factor in choosing between these two terms. That said, they are sometimes used interchangeably.

2. No

3. Unless I'm missing something, this is the same as question #2. Use of the word number defines countability.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much, J&k Tutoring. Your posting made me have a much better understanding of this phrase.

LONGMAN ESSENTIAL ACTIVATOR contains usage like this: Number can be used in the plural with the same meaning: 'Large numbers of people' means the same as 'a large number of people'.
Do a lot of people treat them as being interchangeable?

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.