Post Thanks / Like

Default Sentences to do with Economics

Hello tdol,

Will you correct the following sentences pls? It's important for me that the language is OK because I usually hand in these sentences as my English homework Thanks heaps.

• When I discovered that the prices had not been fixed in advance, I started bargaining/haggling.
    • By some point, the marginal utility of these commodities had changed and the consumers stopped buying them at the current price.
    • As soon as we had planned our expenditure, we decided not to waste our money. We bought a country house but had to accept the buyer’s price because it had been set in advance.
    • The consumers had hardly got(ten) the computers in surplus when the demand for them fell.
    • After the stock of the commodity increased, the utility of it diminished.
    • I had been rating meat very highly for a long time before I became a vegetarian and acquired a taste for fruit and vegetables.
    • We had been producing the new model of the submarine for two years when the demand for it suddenly fell.
    • Agents couldn’t increase the price of the apartment because the rent for lodging had been under law in a few American towns since the shortage of lodging.
    • The consumer had been buying the commodity at the current price for over a few weeks when he finally realized that his financial sacrifice was greater than his satisfaction from purchasing that commodity.
    • The members of the meeting had been discussing the problem of price controls and ration stamps for two hours before they came to the conclusion that it was the only way to handle temporary excesses of goods.
    • -Look! This is a new sort of bread that is advertised on TV every day. The price seems high…
    • -Yes, quite right, but it smells and looks just great. I’m for buying it.
    • Please, listen to my words carefully. This big black leather bag is a bit more expensive but I think its quality is a lot higher than that of that bag made of leather. It’s a well-known fact that the higher the quality the higher the price.
    • In times of shortages, prices controls are as important as ration stamps on food and consumer goods.
    • Scientific research confirms the fact that the more units of a (or the?) commodity buys the less his desire to have this commodity gets/grows/becomes (do all the three verbs in italics sound good here?). Economists call this tendency “The Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility”.
    • –In my opinion, a variety of consumer goods on the market makes the problem of the choice of the commodity we need more complex. (the number of 'the' confuses me)
    • I totally agree with you but I think that choosing a commodity isn’t as hard as evaluating its quality.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sentences to do with Economics

• By some point, the marginal utility of these commodities had changed and the consumers stopped buying them at the current price.
    At some point
    • The consumers had hardly got(ten) the computers in surplus when the demand for them fell.
    I'm honestly not sure about this- it sounds weird to me.

• I had been rating meat very highly for a long time before I became a vegetarian and acquired a taste for fruit and vegetables.
    I wouldn't use the progressive form for 'rate'

• The members of the meeting had been discussing the problem of price controls and ration stamps for two hours before they came to the conclusion that it was the only way to handle temporary excesses of goods
    Surpluses?
    • Scientific research confirms the fact that the more units of a (or the?) commodity buys the less his desire to have this commodity gets/grows/becomes (do all the three verbs in italics sound good here?). Economists call this tendency “The Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility”.
    The 'his;' doesn't refer to anyone- the more someone buys, the less his desire...
    • –In my opinion, a variety of consumer goods on the market makes the problem of the choice of the commodity we need more complex. (the number of 'the' confuses me)
    The first is essential, IMO. You could keep or delete the ther two.