Question on instructions for a listening exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Could you correct the instructions that I made out of the following text?

She knew her parents liked Hiroshi. He was a considerate man who had done well in his company and would look after Ikuko, their only daughter. Her friends liked him too –– he was kind and always ready to help anyone with a problem. Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi that he’d never made her feel unhappy for a moment. She couldn’t imagine her life without him. So why did the idea of marrying him seem like a door closing on the future?

1. Write down what she knew.
2. Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was.
3. Write down what Hiroshi would do.
4. Write down who liked him too.
5. Write down what she liked.
6. Write down what Hiroshi would never do to her.
7. Write down what she couldn't imagine.
8. (Could there be a question out of this one? 'So why did the idea of marrying him seem like a door closing on the future?')
What about this one? What did the idea of marrying him seem like to her?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
Could you correct the instructions that I made out of the following text?

She knew her parents liked Hiroshi. He was a considerate man who had done well in his company and would look after Ikuko, their only daughter. Her friends liked him too he was kind and always ready to help anyone with a problem. Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi and [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] he’d never made her feel unhappy for a moment. She couldn’t imagine her life without him. So why did the idea of marrying him seem like a door closing on the future?

1. Write down what she knew.
2. Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was.
3. Write down what Hiroshi would do.
4. Write down who liked him too.
5. Write down what she liked.
6. Write down what Hiroshi would never do to her.
7. Write down what she couldn't imagine.
8. (Could there be a question out of this one? 'So why did the idea of marrying him seem like a door closing on the future?')
What about this one? What did the idea of marrying him seem like to her?

Thanks in advance.

All the instructions are fine in my opinion, if a little leading but if that's the level they're at then it's fine. My only corrections are to the piece itself (in red) though I think you said this was a listening comprehension so it's not too important that it's written correctly.

One suggestion - I think I would prefer "he'd never make her feel unhappy for a moment" (something she was sure would never happen in the future) sounds better after "Ikuko knew". If she was talking about the fact that he had never made her feel unhappy for a moment in the past, you wouldn't really need "Ikuko knew". The link is made by the use of the word "that" before "he'd never made" because it effectively says: "Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi and she knew that he had never made her feel unhappy". That doesn't work for me. If you remove "that" you are left with "Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi and he had never made her feel unhappy", which sounds better.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
All the instructions are fine in my opinion, if a little leading but if that's the level they're at then it's fine.Yes, they are low interemdiate. My only corrections are to the piece itself (in red) though I think you said this was a listening comprehension so it's not too important that it's written correctly. Yes, it is a listening exercise.

One suggestion - I think I would prefer "he'd never make her feel unhappy for a moment" (something she was sure would never happen in the future) sounds better after "Ikuko knew". If she was talking about the fact that he had never made her feel unhappy for a moment in the past, you wouldn't really need "Ikuko knew". The link is made by the use of the word "that" before "he'd never made" because it effectively says: "Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi and she knew that he had never made her feel unhappy". That doesn't work for me. If you remove "that" you are left with "Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi and he had never made her feel unhappy", which sounds better. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately I can't change it because the whole story is on a CD.
Hi,
Than you so much for your reply and help.:-D
Hmm, very interesting points.
What about this one. "Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi and that he would never make her feel unhappy". Does it make sense?

Knowing that there is no perfect synonym for the verb "being", can these ones 'existing, living' be fairly close for the context?

8. 'So why did the idea of marrying him seem like a door closing on the future?')
What did the idea of marrying him seem like to her?
Sorry this one should be, 'Write down what the idea of marrying him seemed like to her'. Is it correct?

2. Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was. (In the understanding that the answer to this one is ,'He was a considerate man who had done well in his company. Am I right? Or I can only include, 'He was a considerate man.'

Thanks again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.