Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi Teachers,

Could you please tell me the meaning of the words "of some kind" in the sentence below.

Your sister is seeing a guy who seems a little dangerous and dishonest. You tell your sister that he might be a criminal of some kind.

Thanks a lot.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
"Of some kind" means, in the context of your example, "of some type or sort." There are various types of criminals, not all of whom are the same. A pickpocket is not the same type of criminal as a kidnapper or terrorist.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
It's formal.It means he might be one kind of/one type of criminal.( he might be a kidnapper,a rubber,a pickpocket or ...)
Good luck!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi
It's formal.It means he might be one kind of/one type of criminal.( he might be a kidnapper,a rubber,a pickpocket or ...)
Good luck!

I don't agree that "of some kind" is formal at all. It's just a phrase.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could also mean that he is involved in some criminal activity without being a full-time criminal.

(And I agree that it is not formal)

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
I found it in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of current English the seventh edition, there it was written( formal).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could you post the exact entry here, please. I have just checked the SOED, which is the Oxford dictionary I have to hand, and it makes no mention of it being a formal phrase. Thanks.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
sure!
Under the entry for the word kind on page 847, as a noun it's written (formal) would you like a drink of some kind?
regards.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have to say that I can't see anything particularly formal about that. :up:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
I agree that it is not a formal phrase and, once again, disagree with the Oxford Learner's Dictionary. I realize that my opinion is not shared by all, especially since I use and encourage others to use the Oxford Dictionary. Nevertheless, the Learner's edition is one that many ESL learners carry throughout their career and it frequently does them disservice. It is not revised as often, and it is smaller and easier to carry because it's clients tend to be younger. The original may be larger and more cumbersome, but it has just about everything you need and won't steer you wrong.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I suppose the whole sentence "Would you like a drink of some kind?" would be considered more formal or polite than "Wanna drink of something?", but otherwise I wouldn't say "of some kind" is necessarily formal.

Status
Not open for further replies.