Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this saying mean? I know it means there's little difference between one and the other, but literally, does it mean something is six of a group that has only six, and half-a-dozen(12/2=6) of the other group which has more than six? Or don't I have to care about its literal meaning?

do49
ex)(It is) six of one and half-a-dozen of the other

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What does this saying mean? I know it means there's little difference between one and the other, but literally, does it mean something is six of a group that has only six, and half-a-dozen(12/2=6) of the other group which has more than six? Or don't I have to care about its literal meaning?

do49
ex)(It is) six of one and half-a-dozen of the other
The literal meaning is irrelevant except that they mean the same thing. It could have been "50 of one and half a hundred of the other" (though it's not).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It doesn't distinguish between the size of the groups, and Raymott's right- it's just a way of saying the same thing in different words to give the idea that there's no difference.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've also met 'It's six and two threes' used with the same meaning.

And a mathematician has been known to say 'It's six of one and 3! of the other' - same meaning, but 'in' joke (people who understand 'factorial' notation get it)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've also met 'It's six and two threes' used with the same meaning.

And a mathematician has been known to say 'It's six of one and 3! of the other' - same meaning, but 'in' joke (people who understand 'factorial' notation get it)

b

My daughters will both like this.
Along the same lines, they also like this: There are 10 types of people in the world. Those whose understand binary and those who don't.

Sameha Nashat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Canada
"six of one and half-a-dozen of the other" is a reply when we want to choose between two things and the person giving the reply is effectively saying that there is no difference between these two choices.

Judge Brybe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Like-for-like.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Like-for-like.
:-? This phrase has an implication of substitution. 'Six of one and half a dozen of the other' has no such implication - although things that are similar to this extent are obviously candidates for a like-for-like exchange.

b

Last edited:

Judge Brybe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
:-? This phrase has an implication of substitution. 'Six of one and half a dozen of the other' has no such implication - although things that are similar to this extent are obviously candidates for a like-for-like exchange.
b
I see, sir :)

sammer sami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"Half a dozen = 6. So "six" and "half a dozen" are two ways of saying the same thing. The expression means that there is no important difference between the alternatives, or the differences offset one another so the net result is the same.
For example, I say to my husband, "Should I take Highway 101 or Highway 280?" and he replies, "It's six of one and a half dozen of the other." He means that I'll get there in about the same amount of time whether I take one road or the other."

This person's answer says much but conveys little.

"Six of one, half a dozen of the other" is a reply to a question that solicits an evaluation between two choices. The person giving the reply is effectively saying "there is no difference between these two choices".

Status
Not open for further replies.