The devil is due its soul. What does it mean? (Sherlock Holmes 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckylucy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The devil is due its soul. It is from Sherlock Holmes (2009), what does it mean?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In some stories, people sell their soul to the Devil in exchange for something very nice in life. Usually, there is an interval of time between the sale and the Devil coming to collect the soul. It can be used to describe any deal where someone is going to end up paying with a lot more than money.

I assume that metaphorically someone in the film made a deal and now it's time for the payment to be made.

luckylucy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I got it! Thanks!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, while in many literary works someone does make a deal with the devil (in some form), there's nothing Faustian about that film - it's just a criminal with a neat line in misdirection.

b

luckylucy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"He is a criminal with a neat line in misdirection." What does "a neat line" refer to?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"He is a criminal with a neat line in misdirection." What does "a neat line" refer to?

'Misdirection' is what a stage conjuror does. 'See, there's nothing in my hands' means 'I bet you can't guess where I've hidden <whatever-it-is>. [It's quite easy to guess, but not if I make you concentrate on my hands.]' ;-)

A tradesman who provides something is said to 'have a line' in it. 'Do you need anything for the kitchen? For a limited time only I have an unmissable line in disposable dishcloths.'

'Neat' was just my judgement about what he did - it was a bit vague, because I was in two minds about not giving a 'spoiler alert'.

b

luckylucy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks! I learn a lot through this question! For example, the useful phrases: have a line. spoiler alert

Status
Not open for further replies.