[Grammar] When we can use well as an adjective or adverb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolazco

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Peru
Current Location
Peru
I am really confuse because i do not the difference when well is an adjective or when well is an adverb, I took a test and in the test they asked if in the sentence I am not well well is an adjective or an adverb and in the otrher sentence I did well they asked the same Is there any ruler for recognize when well is an adjective or an adverb please answer me:cry:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am really confused because I do not know the difference when "well" is an adjective and when "well" is an adverb. I took a test and in the test they asked if in the sentence "I am not well", "well" is an adjective or an adverb and in the other sentence, "I did well", they asked the same. Is there any [STRIKE]ruler[/STRIKE] rule for recognizing when "well" is an adjective or an adverb. Please answer me.:cry:

Please see the amendments I have made to your post above in red.

In answer to your question, the first thing you need to know is the difference in function of an adjective and an adverb.

An adjective describes someone or something.
An adverb describes how something is/was done.

Given those definitions, can you work out which is which in your two examples?

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Well can be an adverb and an adjective. If it describes the verb (if it shows how you do something) , it's an adverb. In these sentences: "She did well", "She speaks well","She cooks well" well is an adverb. In these sentences it's an adjective: "She is well". "How are you today? - I'm very well". It means she is in good health or I'm in good health.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.