• English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESL student with Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    That's why I asked. Although I haven't taught a person with autism, I have taught other people with special requirements and a lot depends on what support is available to you. In your case, it seems that you are expected to somehow work or muddle through, so you should base your expectations around what is feasible- they cannot expect miracles if they offer little back-up and assistance. How well does he fit in with the group? Getting the group to accept and support can make a huge difference.
    I see him for 30 minutes in the morning where it is myself, the speech teacher, and the student. I see him again a little later in the day for his ELA time in his self-contained room. It is a place with many distractions and behavior issues. During his ELA time it is his teacher, him and another student, and I. I don't think that they're expecting miracles necessarily, but I end up feeling useless for a good portion of the time...

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESL student with Autism

Hi.

I'm new here and was wondering whether you had picked up some tips as to how to work with your student?
    I'm just starting out, and I have two rather severe autistic students who I am required to service (I am also in NY).
    Sometimes they will parrot back, but other times they say nothing at all. They lag behind their peers when we do total physical response. I don't know if they understand anything. What have you and the speech therapist found to be successful? Any advice would be very helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2