Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
They are trying to make a deal, Mel is asking Ned to introduce her to a car racer to investigate on a murder case, and in return, Ned needs her to do something for him like "save me from my mother hanging me by my ankles"
What does it mean?
*In this editing box, the line used to be easily copied and pasted, but it doesn't work well, do you have the same problem? That's why I can't underline the question parts.

gw2-14
Mel- Look, are you going to introduce me to Ray Peters or not?
Ned- Are you going to save me from my mother hanging me by my ankles?
Mel- You're lucky to have a mother who cares so much about you

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
They are trying to make a deal, Mel is asking Ned to introduce her to a car racer to investigate on a murder case, and in return, Ned needs her to do something for him like "save me from my mother hanging me by my ankles"
What does it mean?
*In this editing box, the line used to be easily copied and pasted, but it doesn't work well, do you have the same problem? That's why I can't underline the question parts.

gw2-14
Mel- Look, are you going to introduce me to Ray Peters or not?
Ned- Are you going to save me from my mother hanging me by my ankles?
Mel- You're lucky to have a mother who cares so much about you
It's a reference to a certain type of punishment used in jails. In that sense it has a literal meaning - you were hung up by the ankles and left to die. It has become a figurative term for any sort of 'severe' punishment.
I use "I don't want to end up hanging by my toes in some (insert country name) prison."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Either a punishment or a way of getting people to do what you want. There are instances in the films LA Confidential and A Fish Called Wanda.

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
:up: Either a punishment or a way of getting people to do what you want. There are instances in the films LA Confidential and A Fish Called Wanda.

b
Yes, I agree with that qualification - it can be either a punishment or a method of 'persuasion'. Keanu will know from the further context which it means in this case.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot for both of you!!! Yes, the two interpretations are possible, but the first one of punishment has the honor of selection, as he snuck out from home to participate in a car racing which her mom really went against.

Status
Not open for further replies.