Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default return the favor.

    Cindy is an ex-girlfriend of Gordon who died in a car race, and she is trying to revenge the killer Ray tonight. Is "return the favor" an ironic or paradoxical expression? It usually means "pay the debt owed to someone".

    gw2-14
    Cindyl- Ray Peters killed Gordon. Tonight I'm going to return the favor.
    Mel- Cindy couldn't hurt me if she tried. - I wouldn't underestimate her.
    Last edited by keannu; 04-Apr-2012 at 10:14.

  2. #2
    moonlike's Avatar
    moonlike is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: return the favor.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Cindy is an ex-girlfriend of Gordon who died in a car race, and she is trying to revenge the killer Ray tonight. Is "return the favor" an ironic or paradoxical expression? It usually means "pay the debt owed to someone".

    gw2-14
    Cindyl- Ray Peters killed Gordon. Tonight I'm going to return the favor.
    Mel- Cindy couldn't hurt me if she tried. - I wouldn't underestimate her.
    You're right. It's an irony here. It means to revenge.

  3. #3
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: return the favor.

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlike View Post
    You're right. It's an irony here. It means to revenge.
    It's not "an irony." It's an ironic expression, or an expression used ironically. Irony is not used in a countable way.

  4. #4
    BobSmith is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    902
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: return the favor.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    It's not "an irony." It's an ironic expression, or an expression used ironically. Irony is not used in a countable way.
    Examples of IRONY

    • It was a tragic irony that he made himself sick by worrying so much about his health.

    Irony - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

  5. #5
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: return the favor.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Cindy is an ex-girlfriend of Gordon who died in a car race, and she is trying to revenge the killer Ray tonight.
    She is trying to avenge Gordon's death.
    She is trying to avenge herself on Ray's killers.
    She is trying to take revenge on Ray's killers.
    She is trying to revenge herself on Ray's killers.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  6. #6
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: return the favor.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    Examples of IRONY

    • It was a tragic irony that he made himself sick by worrying so much about his health.

    Irony - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    OK, you can use "irony" in this way to describe a situation. But to describe an expression it seems wrong to me.

  7. #7
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: return the favor.

    I agree. An irony is a situation. Words are used ironically.

    Regardless, using the word "favor" to mean "revenge" is an ironic use of the word "favor."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. return a favor in folds
    By saramehr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2010, 13:17
  2. Favor
    By doc.tor in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2007, 17:16
  3. i need a favor@@@
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2007, 17:38
  4. Would you do me a favor?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2007, 14:46
  5. in favor of
    By o_cat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2003, 23:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •