Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The comma rules are driving me crazy!
I don't understand what is modifying and what is connecting!
Help me figure out this one:

"At the same time, the psychological burden of living with another's family is excruciatingly difficult , because, regardless of everything, these women are living in someone else's home: the wives hav e to keep silent at night, for example, or they may hesiate to go out with their friends or have visitors, or it is simply impossible to know if one can engage in such a simple task as use the kitchen."

This is what I think about the comma usages above, please correct me if I'm wrong:

●"At the same time," - comma is used to indicate the prepositional phrase (At the same time) that modifies the whole clause, "the psychological burden of living with another's family is excruciatingly difficult" and act as a adverb.

●", because, regardless of everything," - I have no freakin clue how this is used... Is the comma used to connect or modifiying? what's its fuction?

●", for example, or " - Is the comma used to offset the "for example", the interrupter? or is it used as connector as in [comma + coordinating conjuction] rule?
●", or" - I know this comma is used to connect two complete sentences "they may hesiate to go out with their friends or have visitors" and "it is simply impossible to know if one can engage in such a simple task as use the kitchen" with the [comma + coordinating conjuction] rule

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I really cannot begin to answer your question because of the overwhelming use of different colours in each sentence. I'm sure that you know what colour each one represents, and you may think that they help, but they make your entire post unreadable for me.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I really cannot begin to answer your question because of the overwhelming use of different colours in each sentence. I'm sure that you know what colour each one represents, and you may think that they help, but they make your entire post unreadable for me.
colored words represents the things that i'm confused about and green sentences are FULL sentences....
should I change them into black?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, make the whole post black and put the phrases and parts that you are confused about in quotation marks or italics. You could perhaps put the commas which confuse you in red, but that's about it.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In my opinion, make the whole post black and put the phrases and parts that you are confused about in quotation marks or italics. You could perhaps put the commas which confuse you in red, but that's about it.

sorry about that I changed them back :D

Status
Not open for further replies.