Has 'must be' be changed to 'had to be' in reported speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The general informed his troops, "We must be ready as the enemy is preparing to attack us tonight."

I have reported the above speech as follows. Is it necessary to change 'must' to 'had'. I think it is not necessary. Am I right?

The general informed his troops that they had to be ready as the enemy was preparing to attack them that night.

Thanks.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The general informed his troops, "We must be ready as the enemy is preparing to attack us tonight."

I have reported the above speech as follows. Is it necessary to change 'must' to 'had'. I think it is not necessary. Am I right?

The general informed his troops that they had to be ready as the enemy was preparing to attack them that night.

Thanks.

Both can be correct. It depends. If the reported speech happened exactly the same day that it was mentioned you don't need to change the tense "must". If it's reported one day later or more, yes you change the tense "had to".
Good luck

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are right. If you are writing in an examination, I'd recommend that you use 'had to', especially if the examination is to be marked by non-native speakers (some of whom insist on rules they have read being followed), but many native speakers would use 'must'.

Status
Not open for further replies.