Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi Teachers,

Could you please tell me the meaning of the word "contention" in the sentence below. I already looked it up in a dictionary, but I still can't seem to understand it.

Ethernet is a contention media access method that allows all hosts on a network to share the
same bandwidth of a link.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Ferdie11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
The various computers and devices on the network all "contend" for the same bandwidth.

Based on your sentence, it seems that the meaning of contention is sharing / using. Am I correct?

Ferdie11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Contend | Define Contend at Dictionary.com

The dictionary would tell you what "contend" means. It doesn't mean "share." "Compete" is more like it.

Ok, but looking back at the original question, the "contention" means "competition" in the sentence below? That does not seem correct.

Ethernet is a contention media access method that allows all hosts on a network to share the
same bandwidth of a link.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They utilize the same resources on the network, but they do it by contending for the resources. There is no overall "master" who determines how the resources are shared, that allots time and bandwidth to various other "slave" devices on the network.

Instead, all devices on the network speak when they want and there are ways of detecting "collisions" of data and allowing "retrys" when data is lost.

Ferdie11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
They utilize the same resources on the network, but they do it by contending for the resources. There is no overall "master" who determines how the resources are shared, that allots time and bandwidth to various other "slave" devices on the network.

Instead, all devices on the network speak when they want and there are ways of detecting "collisions" of data and allowing "retrys" when data is lost.

Thanks so much. You seem like you have a lot of knowledge in computer networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.