Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi all teachers.
When i heard the pronunciation of mortal in American English ,I don't listen to the sound "r",but this IPA is /ˈmɔrtl/.
Can you explain me that?
Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
light 87, you constantly use 'IPA'. This is actually simply an abbreviation of 'International Phonetic Alphabet'. The symbols in this alphabet, when used by a trained phonetician represent one, and only one sound. If that sound is pronounced in a slightly different way, that change will be indicated by subscript and superscript symbols. Phonetic transncriptions are enclosed within square brackets - [ . ].

Most dictionaries give phonemic, not phonetic, transcriptions, which do not record one precise pronunciation, but rather a broad 'average' pronunciation. Phonemic transcriptions are enclosed within slashes - /./. You can know what the dictionary compilers mean by the symbols they use only by reading the notes in each dictionary.

In the word 'mortal'. the sound represented by the letters or is a pure vowel in most varieties of BrE, but has some degre of /r/ colour in many AmE varieties. The symbols actually used, and the degree of /r/-colouring will depend on the phonetics editor of the dictionary you are using.

light87

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi all teachers.
Thank you for your help.
I used IPA to improve my pronunciation of words.
Please for the sound r what do you mean by vowel sound and r colored?.
When i heard the word mortal in the dictionary i don't listen the sound r.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.