• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toppings

Fudruckers. It's Fudruckers that has the Fixins Bar. And my gosh are those good burgers. I haven't had one in ages, but maybe one will open near here some day.

I'm literally salivating thinking about those burgers. A complete Pavlovian response.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    If I understand this correctly, then you would ask what you want "in" your sandwich, while we say "on."
    Yes.

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Fudruckers. It's Fudruckers that has the Fixins Bar. And my gosh are those good burgers. I haven't had one in ages, but maybe one will open near here some day.

I'm literally salivating thinking about those burgers. A complete Pavlovian response.
    Roy Rogers has a "fixins bar"

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    No, I think we just look at sandwiches in a different way on our side of the Atlantic. For us, a traditional sandwich is simply two slices of bread and butter with something in between. That something is the filling.
    Just before I read 5jj's response, I realised the same thing. All the American responses have mentioned burgers, whereas you and I are both thinking about two slices of normal bread with some stuff inside (cheese, salad, houmous, sliced ham, etc), not a meat pattie/burger inside a burger bun.

Here, for example, is the quintessentially English cucumber sandwich

I, too, would call the extras which go on top of the meat/veggie pattie/burger inside a bun "toppings", not fillings.

It never occurred to me this would get so confusing!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just burgers. A place like Subway makes a whole bunch of different kinds of submarine sandwiches. You order the basic (say turkey or Italian or ham) and then you tell them what you want on it.

I don't think we here think of a sandwich as a blank slate. It's something between bread which can optionally have something else on top of it.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just burgers. A place like Subway makes a whole bunch of different kinds of submarine sandwiches. You order the basic (say turkey or Italian or ham) and then you tell them what you want on it.

I don't think we here think of a sandwich as a blank slate. It's something between bread which can optionally have something else on top of it.
    I think we've got to the crux of the matter with your last sentence. A sandwich starts with two slices of bread and something, and then you add other stuff. The absolute basics of a British sandwich is two slices of bread (possibly buttered) and that's it.
    Am I right in understanding though, that you do refer to a meat pattie inside a burger bun (with or without salad etc) as a "sandwich"?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think we've got to the crux of the matter with your last sentence. A sandwich starts with two slices of bread and something, and then you add other stuff. The absolute basics of a British sandwich is two slices of bread (possibly buttered) and that's it.
    Am I right in understanding though, that you do refer to a meat pattie inside a burger bun (with or without salad etc) as a "sandwich"?
    No, I'd call it a burger. But, if asked to classify it scientifically, a burger would be a type of sandwich.

BobSmith is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I'd call it a burger. But, if asked to classify it scientifically, a burger would be a type of sandwich.
    I remember a psych class where the instructor asked the hundred of us all to name a sandwich. After tallying the results, she then asked why no one named a hamburger, and whether or not it is a sandwich. It is, but we don't think of it as one.

Also, I just got done heating my soup at the microwave (at the coffee station) and the woman behind me started heating up a frozen (prepackaged) chicken pot pie. So, I guess adults do eat them here. I'd never have guessed that. Although in my defense, she often talks in a rather annoying baby voice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3