Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fudruckers. It's Fudruckers that has the Fixins Bar. And my gosh are those good burgers. I haven't had one in ages, but maybe one will open near here some day.

I'm literally salivating thinking about those burgers. A complete Pavlovian response.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fudruckers. It's Fudruckers that has the Fixins Bar. And my gosh are those good burgers. I haven't had one in ages, but maybe one will open near here some day.

I'm literally salivating thinking about those burgers. A complete Pavlovian response.

Roy Rogers has a "fixins bar"

800px-Roys_New_Germantown.jpg

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, I think we just look at sandwiches in a different way on our side of the Atlantic. For us, a traditional sandwich is simply two slices of bread and butter with something in between. That something is the filling.

Just before I read 5jj's response, I realised the same thing. All the American responses have mentioned burgers, whereas you and I are both thinking about two slices of normal bread with some stuff inside (cheese, salad, houmous, sliced ham, etc), not a meat pattie/burger inside a burger bun.

Here, for example, is the quintessentially English cucumber sandwich

I, too, would call the extras which go on top of the meat/veggie pattie/burger inside a bun "toppings", not fillings.

It never occurred to me this would get so confusing!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not just burgers. A place like Subway makes a whole bunch of different kinds of submarine sandwiches. You order the basic (say turkey or Italian or ham) and then you tell them what you want on it.

I don't think we here think of a sandwich as a blank slate. It's something between bread which can optionally have something else on top of it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not just burgers. A place like Subway makes a whole bunch of different kinds of submarine sandwiches. You order the basic (say turkey or Italian or ham) and then you tell them what you want on it.

I don't think we here think of a sandwich as a blank slate. It's something between bread which can optionally have something else on top of it.

I think we've got to the crux of the matter with your last sentence. A sandwich starts with two slices of bread and something, and then you add other stuff. The absolute basics of a British sandwich is two slices of bread (possibly buttered) and that's it.
Am I right in understanding though, that you do refer to a meat pattie inside a burger bun (with or without salad etc) as a "sandwich"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think we've got to the crux of the matter with your last sentence. A sandwich starts with two slices of bread and something, and then you add other stuff. The absolute basics of a British sandwich is two slices of bread (possibly buttered) and that's it.
Am I right in understanding though, that you do refer to a meat pattie inside a burger bun (with or without salad etc) as a "sandwich"?

No, I'd call it a burger. But, if asked to classify it scientifically, a burger would be a type of sandwich.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I'd call it a burger. But, if asked to classify it scientifically, a burger would be a type of sandwich.

I remember a psych class where the instructor asked the hundred of us all to name a sandwich. After tallying the results, she then asked why no one named a hamburger, and whether or not it is a sandwich. It is, but we don't think of it as one.

Also, I just got done heating my soup at the microwave (at the coffee station) and the woman behind me started heating up a frozen (prepackaged) chicken pot pie. So, I guess adults do eat them here. I'd never have guessed that. Although in my defense, she often talks in a rather annoying baby voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.