Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have a problem when using the word "society"; I am not sure when I need to use the article the, or no article.
Please, could you correct my mistakes in the following sentences.

1. The professor has criticised the state of the society. ( I am not sure if I need the)
2. The author's novel is about the American society.
3. It is difficult to predict how the British society is going to develop in the future. (Do I need an article at all?)
4. There are many reasons for the moral crisis in the contemporary society.
5. In many undeveloped countries there is still agricultural society.
6. British PM could not find a solution for social problems in society.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have a problem when using the word "society"; I am not sure when I need to use the article the, or no article.
Please, could you correct my mistakes in the following sentences.

1. The professor has criticised the state of the society. ( I am not sure if I need the)
It depends whether you are talking about society in general, or about a particular society/club/association.
2. The author's novel is about [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] American society.
3. It is difficult to predict how [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] British society is going to develop in the future. (Do I need an article at all?)
4. There are many reasons for the moral crisis in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] contemporary society.
5. In many undeveloped countries there is still agricultural society.
I don't think 'society' is appropriate here. I would suggest something like: "Life in many undeveloped countries is still largely based on agriculture".
6. The British Prime Minister could not find a solution for the social problems in society.
When 'society' refers to people in general, it usually functions as an uncountable noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.