• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default using it to communicate with anyone

Does "using" happen as a simultaneous action with "decided to make" or is it a cause-and-effect relationship between "have decided" and "using"? I mean, did they decide first and then use English, or while using it, did they decide it?
    It can be interpreted in both ways, confusing me.

go2-nung-1
    So when I email my foreign friends, or when they come to visit me in Korea, we communicate in English — the most widely used international language. Since English helps me make friends, I really enjoy learning it. My goal is to have a friend from every country on earth.
    Most people in the world have decided to make English "the language of communication," using it to communicate with anyone who doesn't speak their language. It allows them to talk to people from other countries about all kinds of things. Even if you don't travel, you can use English to post on Internet discussion sites and send emails.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: using it to communicate with anyone

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does "using" happen as a simultaneous action with "decided to make" or is it a cause-and-effect relationship between "have decided" and "using"? I mean, did they decide first and then use English, or while using it, did they decide it?
    It can be interpreted in both ways, confusing me.

go2-nung-1
    So when I email my foreign friends, or when they come to visit me in Korea, we communicate in English the most widely used international language. Since English helps me make friends, I really enjoy learning it. My goal is to have a friend from every country on earth.
    Most people in the world have decided to make English "the language of communication," using it to communicate with anyone who doesn't speak their language. It allows them to talk to people from other countries about all kinds of things. Even if you don't travel, you can use English to post on Internet discussion sites and send emails.
    Yes, it's ambiguous, but it's the sort of ambiguity that almost no one would bother about because the meaning is otherwise clear, and the writer doesn't care which way you interpret it. The important point is that English is used as a lingua franca, not whether people decide to use it before they do use it, or vice versa.