Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Distance


    • Join Date: Oct 2003
    • Posts: 26
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Distance

    Is this sentence correct?

    I live in a small town surrounded by forest at twenty kilometres to Barcelona

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Distance

    Quote Originally Posted by jvaldelv
    Is this sentence correct?

    I live in a small town surrounded by forest at twenty kilometres to Barcelona
    I live in a small town surrounded by forests and located twenty kilometres from Barcelona.

    :D

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Distance

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by jvaldelv
    Is this sentence correct?

    I live in a small town surrounded by forest at twenty kilometres to Barcelona
    I live in a small town surrounded by forests and located twenty kilometres from Barcelona.

    :D
    I agree except it should be surrounded by forest.

    :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    I'd say 'forest' could be singular or plural depending on the geography, but the singular is more likely.

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'd say 'forest' could be singular or plural depending on the geography, but the singular is more likely.
    Me, three :D

    Environmentalists use 'forest', too.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    I hope they use it sustainably.

  4. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I hope they use it sustainably.
    They use it for [r]est.

    :D

Similar Threads

  1. The "Proximity and Distance" files.
    By milky in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2004, 16:59
  2. Noun: feel V.S. feeling
    By blacknomi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 29-May-2004, 21:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •