Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I want to improve my speaking but I do not know how. can you help me by some suggestions?
can any one tell me how to start , please?
best wishs

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you have many opportunities to practise with other people?

Faten.88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
My biggest problem that no one around me can speak English so I can not speak English with them.I try to find another ways to improve my speaking .I am good at grammar but I can not speak for 3 minutes .

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Faten, welcome to the forum :hi:

You can use these suggestions:
1. Get one of those books which has a tape, and as you read listen to it. This improves your listening and speaking,because you hear the correct pronunciations.
2. To improve your intonation, try to sound angrier, happier, or more frightened.
3. Listen to people speaking in English and without pausing the tape or the movie say it immediately after them and try to sound just like them. If you're using a movie, look at their faces and lips and try to talk like them.
4. Choose a line that you like from a movie or song, memorize it and say it with yourself just like the actor or the singer.
5. Speak on the phone in English.
6. Read a lot. Read for fun, not because it's homework or a test, just because you like it.
7. Paraphrase; say what you read in your own word, but don't change the meaning.
8. Watch the film and enjoy, then focus on the language. Every time you watch a film you learn something.
9. Think in English. Switch your thought from your mother tongue into English. It's great. Do it even for a few minutes every day and see how much easier you speak.
10. Before going to bed, you can think out loud what ever that has happened to you that day.

Good luck

Alamshar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
It depends on what your biggest problem is:
If it is forming sentences then you must speak with English speakers to do this. One way to do this is to call hotels, car rental companies, tourist information offices etc. in English speaking countries looking for information. It won't cost much on Skype and it's something I get my students to do occasionally.
If you don't have access to English speakers where you live and work then you can do exchanges online. Search for such service online and you will find someone who wants to learn your language as well.

If your problem is with pronunciation then I suggest you read in English aloud. This will force you pronounce each word and will help with your speaking.

Faten.88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
moonlike , Alamshar,
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I started to do exchanges online and I am searching for a good book with a tape to read and listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.