English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Could you kindly let me know the word that's used to describe the taste of a persimmon when it's still not ripe enough. I've tried but I haven't found a good word for that.
Thanks a million

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about sharp?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no idea what the taste of an unripe persimmon is like, but I'll guess "bitter".

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Unripe persimmon, much like crab apples or a dry white wine, has the effect of drying the palate.

It's not as sour as a lemon or as bitter as a bitter melon.

So, the best description I can think of is that it has a "tart" taste. The word "taut" is some times used in place of "tart".

Adults who have been scrumping for apples/pears/plums/grapes in their childhood will be well familiar with that particular taste sensation.

If you are from an oriental country, then you will know to eat "tart" fruits with a dash of salt to minimise the taste effects.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I like "tart" for this description but I have never heard "taut" used as an alternative.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Tart is much better than my suggestion. ;-)

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Today I heard "astringent" from my colleagues. I checked the meaning in Webster-dictionary.org (it seems this meaning can be found in a Webster dictionary, because I didn't find it in Oxford).

Astringency (n):a sharp astringent taste; the taste experience when a substance causes the mouth to pucker (I found it in thefreedictionary.com)

Astringent (adj):drawing together the tissues; binding; contracting; astringent taste; astringent fruit.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You didn't find the word "astringent" in the OED?!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[tangent]
Moonlike - others too, maybe - may be interested to know that the word for 'peach' in many Romance languages - pêche (Fr), pesca (It), pêssego (Pg), but not Spanish [melocotón - which prefers the image of a furry apple] - is derived from an abbreviation of the Latin for 'Persian apple'.
[/tangent]
[backOnTopic]
I prefer 'tart' to 'astringent' in this context. 'Tart' (as an adjective) is always about taste, whereas 'astringent' is less specific; for example shaving lotions are often astringent.
[/backOnTopic] ;-)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[tangent]
Moonlike - others too, maybe - may be interested to know that the word for 'peach' in many Romance languages - pêche (Fr), pesca (It), pêssego (Pg), but not Spanish [melocotón - which prefers the image of a furry apple] - is derived from an abbreviation of the Latin for 'Persian apple'.
[/tangent]
[backOnTopic]
I prefer 'tart' to 'astringent' in this context. 'Tart' (as an adjective) is always about taste, whereas 'astringent' is less specific; for example shaving lotions are often astringent.
[/backOnTopic] ;-)

b

I agree about "tart" and "astringent". Astringent makes me think of things like witch hazel, toner and other toiletries. I've never used it to describe taste.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Sorry, I think a misunderstanding happened, I couldn't find that clear meaning (which clearly defines the taste) in OALD, CALD or LAAD. I found these meanings for astringent:
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary: severe, describes something that acts as an astringent (astringent: a drug or cream that causes the skin or other tissue to tighten so that the flow of blood or other liquids stops).
Longaman Advanced American Dictionary: 1. criticizing someone very severely. 2.able to make your skin less oily or stop a wound from bleeding 3. having an acid taste like a lemon. (it doesn't exactly clarify it dries the tissues, makes a contraction and draw together the tissues)
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: (the third meaning) of a taste or smell, slightly bitter but fresh.
I think the ones that I found and mentioned before clarifies this meaning better.
Could you kindly help me and tell me if it can be a good word to refer to the taste of an unripe persimmon? Does it sound natural to you as an English native speaker?
Thanks a billion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I don't think I have ever tasted a ripe persimmon, let alone an unripe one, I can only repeat what I said in my previous post - astringent is not a word I have ever used to describe the taste of anything (and I don't think I've heard it used in that context).

Status
Not open for further replies.