Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
This sentence sounds so weird but I can't find a way to improve it. I'd like to avoid using "With+percentage"

"...is constituted by Middle East with 56.52 % and Canada with 14.48 % while Central and South America (8.12 %), Eastern Europe (6.58 %), Africa (6.38 %) and Asia (2.89 %)"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To make useful suggestions, we need the whole sentence.

ARUK2008

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you 5jj.

"Globally, over 70 % of the oil resources are concentrated in two different areas constituted by Middle East with 56.52 % and Canada with 14.48 % while a further 25% of global oil reserves is represented by Central and South America (8.12 %), Eastern Europe (6.58 %), Africa (6.38 %) and Asia (2.89 %)"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you 5jj.

"Globally, over 70 % of the oil resources are concentrated in two different areas constituted by Middle East with 56.52 % and Canada with 14.48 % while a further 25% of global oil reserves is represented by Central and South America (8.12 %), Eastern Europe (6.58 %), Africa (6.38 %) and Asia (2.89 %)"

I think we already know that the Middle East and Canada are 2 different areas.

You could say "... are concentrated in the Middle East (56.52%) and Canada (14.48%)..."

Better yet, this seems to be a good use for a table of data. Make the point about 70% being in the ME and Canada, and put all of the other numbers into a separate table.

ARUK2008

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you Dave but that's not the problem in here. This belong to an IELTS task 1 report and I need help rewording: "represented by Central and South America (8.12 %), Eastern Europe (6.58 %), Africa (6.38 %) and Asia (2.89 %)" without using South America with 8.12%, Eastern Europe with 6.58%, Africa with 6.38%...too many WITH WITH WITH...everywhere!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think there is a better way. I would use parentheses before I would use a series of "withs."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Globally, over 70 % of the world's oil resources are concentrated in two main areas, the Middle East with 56.52 % and Canada with 14.48 %; of a further 25% of global oil reserves 8.12% comes from Central and South America, 6.58% from Eastern Europe, 6.38% from Africa, and 2.89% from Asia.

How does that sound?

ARUK2008

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Yes! Wow! It sounds so much better! Thank you Ajj! :up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Um... the Middle East is in Asia. So whe you later say "Asia" do you mean central and eastern Asia, or something else?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Um... the Middle East is in Asia.

Only technically.

I think most Americans think of "Asia" only as the Far East. It always strikes me as odd to hear a British person describe someone from India, for example, as "Asian."

ARUK2008

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
That's a good point Barb! This belongs to a IELTS report. Here's the graph: G116.png

Status
Not open for further replies.