Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello,

I have had an experience of about four years of teaching English language to small classes. However, for the last five years or so I remained completely out of touch with the teaching due to some constraints. Now when I decided to restart the teaching again, I was surprised to realize that I needed some brushing up my English grammar, and vocabulary before I restart the teaching again. Well my problem is that being an non-native English speaker it is getting somewhat frustrating for me as to where should I start to regulate my knowledge of English language from. Please solve my problem.
Thanks,Hatim Hussain

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What contact do you have with native speakers?

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi hatimhussain
How about watching a film to learn lots of useful, everyday words that are used in conversations. Reading, reading, reading really helps me a lot to brush up on the structures and refresh my memory regarding the grammatical structures. By the way paraphrasing is also good. Working on my class language, replacing some words with the new ones to adapt my language to that of the advanced or higher levels. For example, instead of tired I can say "I was dead on my feet" or "I was fed yo with..." Or instead of "look at this page" I can say "have a look at this page".
Good luck

richardavie

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Films and reading and somehow find a native to talk to!

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It depends on how much you are ready to invest in terms of both time and money. Yet, apart from level, can't see much difference between the way you teach and the way you study. What you think could be good for your students is most likely to help yourself.
With luck, you could join teachers' 'speaking clubs' to discuss methodology, share activities or just find a speaking partner.

hatimhussain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thank you very much for the advice. It will certainly help me to regain my confidence in studying this great language.
Hatim Hussain

Status
Not open for further replies.