Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Well...It has been a long time, but that does not mean I do not study English.:) Today, I would like to ask a question

about "focusing adverbs" such as only, even , mostly, etc.

I know as focusing adverbs are put in front of nouns, they can modify or put attention to them. For example,

Even I love you, only you can do it, and so on.

But what I can not understand is that if focusing adverbs modifies nouns with adjectives, Do they just modifies

adjectives or nouns. For example,

Even smart stduents didn't know it, only warm-hearted people are allowed, and I heard about mostly good things.

Of course, I think both ways are possible but in my non-native English speaker sense, I can not find any meaning

difference between them, expecially "I heard about mostly good things", so in there, "mostly" can modify "good" and

the whole noun, "good things". Then, is there a meaning difference between them? Please help me out again and

thank you in advance.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The modify the combination of the adjective and noun- even smart students does not refer to all smart people or all students, but just those students who are smart.
Even I love you
Out of interest, what do you mean by this?

Last edited:

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you all and I just made the sentence instantly, so there is no any history and specific meaning in there.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.