Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Stratford cries poor traditionally."
What 's the meaning of the one? Is "poor" a noun or an adjective here?
Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Stratford cries poor traditionally."
I have no idea of the meaning of this. Where did you read/hear it? Have you any more context?

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I did some research and I think this quote was originally taken from The Observer, but has been re-used in "Inside Meaning: Proficiency Reading Comprehension" by Swan.

"To cry poor" is far from being a set phrase in general use but I would guess the whole thing means something like "Stratford usually claims to be poor.".

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I did some research and I think this quote was originally taken from The Observer, but has been re-used in "Inside Meaning: Proficiency Reading Comprehension" by Swan.

"To cry poor" is far from being a set phrase in general use but I would guess the whole thing means something like "Stratford usually claims to be poor.".
What you said seems to me is reasonable and I put it into the context ,it reads well, too. The only trouble is that I cannot look up any example like this in my reference books.
" The local council does not contribute directly to the subsidy of the Roual Shakespeare Company (in Stratford). Stratford cries poor traditionally. Nevertheless every hotel in twn seems to be adding a new wing or cocktail lounge."
thanks a lot!

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I doubt you'll find it in any reference books. You might find the phrases "to cry wolf" or "to cry foul". Neither are directly comparable but do have the same sort of meaning for "cry" where it means "claim".

I've heard other constructions of the type "cry +adjective" wherethe meaning is "claim + noun" (cry poor = claim poverty, cry sick = claim illness) in Indian English rather more than British English I think. Generally the tone is a slightly sceptical one; it implies the claim is not really believed.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's another example of cry poor.

It means cry poverty, which is much more common.

Rover

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would see it as an adverb, but it is a sarcastic term that usually refers to a person or organization (a town in your example) that acts or claims to be poor but evidence shows otherwise.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, thank you all sincerely!

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Here's another example of cry poor.
It means
cry poverty, which is much more common.
Rover

Not to disagree with Rover, just a regional difference. I have many times heard "cry poor" in the sense of claiming poverty, but can't say that I've heard "cry poverty".
And, because I heard it only yesterday, I'll mention "to cry off", to decline to do something that one had previously agreed to. "She was coming to the meeting but due to illness had to cry off at the last minute".

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It may well be a regional difference- as a BrE speaker, cry poverty sounds more natural to me. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.