'audience' or 'watchers', for the people attending a concert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Would you please tell me how the people in a concert are most commonly addressed? I think sometimes the name of the hall is used when the performer addresses the people, but what I'm looking for is the word specifically used in that context. Many thanks!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Audience" is the word used to refer to the people watching an event.

Do you mean how the performer would address the audience?

Usually in rock concerts the performer will address the crowd using the name of the city they are in. Like "Hello, Philadelphia!"

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Usually in rock concerts the performer will address the crowd using the name of the city they are in. Like "Hello, Philadelphia!"

I agree. You might also hear "Thank you Manchester, you've been a great audience tonight!". I can't think of a way "watchers" would ever be natural in a similar context.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Other than the city's name, as Dave has suggested, I can only think of "Ladies and Gentlemen", which is very common in all sorts of events in AmE.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Other than the city's name, as Dave has suggested, I can only think of "Ladies and Gentlemen", which is very common in all sorts of events in AmE.

That sounds a little more formal to me - I would associate it with more sedate (i.e. not rock) concerts or recitals.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That sounds a little more formal to me - I would associate it with more sedate (i.e. not rock) concerts or recitals.

Not in the states. It's used at every type of event, from mud racing to the philharmonic.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I agree.

I mean the venue's announcer might use "ladies and gentlemen," but many performers are morelikely to refer to us all as m#$%##@ers.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Many thanks to you all. I suppose 'audience' is the word I was looking for. Best wishes!

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not in the states. It's used at every type of event, from mud racing to the philharmonic.

I think at a less formal event in the UK such as motorcycle racing (what is mud racing?) you might hear the abbreviation "Ladies and Gents" from a commentator, but I really can't ever imagine hearing the full phrase at a rock concert unless the venue itself were doing a Health&Safety announcement before the show. And of course, at the Royal Opera House one might hear the even more formal "My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You would also call the audience at a rock concert or a music festival, the "crowd". When a lead singer hurls himself off the stage and onto the upraised arms of the standing audience members who then move him across the tops of their heads, it's called "crowd-surfing".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When a lead singer hurls himself off the stage and onto the upraised arms of the standing audience members who then move him across the tops of their heads, it's called "crowd-surfing".
Thank you for that fascinating piece of information. It did make me realise that I must be even older than I thought I was. One question - which preposition collocates with crowd-surfing?

I got to the bar by/through/on crowd-surfing?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for that fascinating piece of information. It did make me realise that I must be even older than I thought I was. One question - which preposition collocates with crowd-surfing?

I got to the bar by/through/on crowd-surfing?

On the assumption that you really want to know the answer ;-), I would say "by crowd-surfing". Mind you, I'd be very disappointed if the lead singer crowd surfed all the way to the bar instead of back to the stage where he should be to continue with the gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.