Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:
On the other hand the settled folk had their textiles and their pottery and made many desirable things. It was inevitable that as the two sorts of life, the agricultural and the nomadic differentiated, a certain amount of looting and trading should develop between the two. In Sumeria particularly which had deserts and seasonal country on either hand it must have been usual to have the nomads camping close to the cultivated fields, trading and stealing and perhaps tinkering, as gipsies do to this day. (But hens they would not steal, because the domestic fowl—an Indian jungle fowl originally—was not domesticated by man until about 1000 [SIZE=-1]B.C.[/SIZE] They would bring precious stones and things of metal and leather. If they were hunters they would bring skins. They would get in exchange pottery and beads and glass, garments and suchlike manufactured things.

XVI. Primitive Nomadic Peoples

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Context:
On the other hand the settled folk had their textiles and their pottery and made many desirable things. It was inevitable that as the two sorts of life, the agricultural and the nomadic differentiated, a certain amount of looting and trading should develop between the two. In Sumeria particularly which had deserts and seasonal country on either hand it must have been usual to have the nomads camping close to the cultivated fields, trading and stealing and perhaps tinkering, as gipsies do to this day. (But hens they would not steal, because the domestic fowl—an Indian jungle fowl originally—was not domesticated by man until about 1000 [SIZE=-1]B.C.[/SIZE] They would bring precious stones and things of metal and leather. If they were hunters they would bring skins. They would get in exchange pottery and beads and glass, garments and suchlike manufactured things.

XVI. Primitive Nomadic Peoples

Have a look here: tinker noun (TRAVELLER) - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The verb "to tinker" should be present in most dictionaries; are you struggling to pick which definition is most appropriate? It's usually best if you can tell us what you think the word means and then we can tell you if you are right or not, or help you understand any subtleties.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The verb "to tinker" should be present in most dictionaries; are you struggling to pick which definition is most appropriate? It's usually best if you can tell us what you think the word means and then we can tell you if you are right or not, or help you understand any subtleties.

I'm reading a translated work of A SHORT HISTORY OF THE WORLD. According to the translation, "tinkering" refers to "sometimes defrauding," which aroused my suspicion. Because my dicts tell me that there are no definitions as such for the term tinker at all. I guess the "tinkering" here maybe refers to "mending (pots and kettles and other metal utensils)." But "stealing" stands before the word tinkering in the context, however, it seems the translator is possibly right...
See, I was so bewildered. That is why I posted the thread here.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm reading a translated work of A SHORT HISTORY OF THE WORLD. According to the translation, "tinkering" refers to "sometimes defrauding," which aroused my suspicion. Because my dicts tell me that there are no definitions as such for the term tinker at all. I guess the "tinkering" here maybe refers to "mending (pots and kettles and other metal utensils)." But "stealing" stands before the word tinkering in the context, however, it seems the translator is possibly right...
See, I was so bewildered. That is why I posted the thread here.

"Tinkering" has nothing to do with defrauding or stealing. However, "tinkers" are , rightly or wrongly, sometimes associated with dishonesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.