Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Articles

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 99
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Articles

    What is the difference between...
    "I am an Indian."
    "I am Indian."?
    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,373
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Articles

    In meaning, nothing. The first uses the noun form of the demonym. The second use the adjective form. They both happen to be the same for an Indian.

    On the other hand, someone from Denmark would say:

    I am Danish.
    I am a Dane.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 99
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Articles

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    In meaning, nothing. The first uses the noun form of the demonym. The second use the adjective form. They both happen to be the same for an Indian.

    On the other hand, someone from Denmark would say:

    I am Danish.
    I am a Dane.
    Would these two sentences be used in different contexts?
    Please clarify.
    Further when should I say "I am an Indian."? When should I say "I'm Indian."?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Articles

    In BrE, we tend to use the adjective - ' I'm English/Indian' rather than ' I'm an Englishman/Indian'. We tend to use the noun form when the adjective would need to be followed by a noun such as 'man' or 'person' - 'My daughter is going out with an Englishman/Indian'.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 99
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Articles

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    In BrE, we tend to use the adjective - ' I'm English/Indian' rather than ' I'm an Englishman/Indian'. We tend to use the noun form when the adjective would need to be followed by a noun such as 'man' or 'person' - 'My daughter is going out with an Englishman/Indian'.
    Alex is American.
    I met an American on a cruise. Are these sentences correct?
    When do you use "Indians"/"the Indians","Americans"/"the Americans","British/the British"?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 99
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Articles

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    In BrE, we tend to use the adjective - ' I'm English/Indian' rather than ' I'm an Englishman/Indian'. We tend to use the noun form when the adjective would need to be followed by a noun such as 'man' or 'person' - 'My daughter is going out with an Englishman/Indian'.
    I'm Indian.(Does it imply that I'm an Indian person and therefore I don't need to specify by using the article?)
    I'm Indian. I'm Chinese. I'm Swedish.(Is it used to refer to one's nationality?)

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Articles

    Quote Originally Posted by keen learner View Post
    I'm Indian.(Does it imply that I'm an Indian person and therefore I don't need to specify by using the article?)
    I'm Indian. I'm Chinese. I'm Swedish.(Is it used to refer to one's nationality?)
    Look back through the responses already given.

Similar Threads

  1. Articles
    By Bassim in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2012, 10:03
  2. articles
    By ivanavucic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2011, 21:15
  3. [Grammar] articles
    By determine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2009, 21:35
  4. what is indefenite articles & defenite articles
    By ragharch in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-May-2007, 15:39
  5. articles
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2007, 20:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •