[Vocabulary] "patentize" Does the word exist? Can I coin it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What I want to say is "He has never decided to commercialize and patentize his own Internet technology." I don't know if the word patentize exist. But I think it is quite fit in this sentence. Any idea? Can I coin it? Or change it to "get his own Internet technology patented"?

Last edited:

Jenniferhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think "patent" as a verb is good enough. "Patentize" sounds stupid and unnecessary. Never try to invent anything when something better exists.

And btw, I'd use "market" rather than "commercialize" and put it after "patent".

NOT A TEACHER
Jenny

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Theoretically, you can coin words, but there's no need here as there's a perfectly good word in use, and the most likely reaction of many readers would be to think it was a mistake.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "patent" as a verb is good enough. "Patentize" sounds stupid and unnecessary. Never try to invent anything when something better exists.

And btw, I'd use "market" rather than "commercialize" and put it after "patent".

NOT A TEACHER
Jenny

"Commercialze" is a perfectly good word and used frequently to describe adapting an invention into a viable product. Saying "market" here would make me think only of marketing efforts, not of any technical development.

Status
Not open for further replies.