Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In some English test I was instructed to complete the below sentence:

'Enrico has ...... the day they left schoool' using between 2 and 6 words including the word given (in this case the word 'seen') so that the meaning of the sentence quoted in the subject matter of this thread was preserved.

I wrote:

'Enrico has seen Gloria the last time the day they left school'

The correct answers was:

'Enrico has not seen Gloria since the day they left school'.

Is my answer unacceptable, awkward, unnatural sounding? If it is, could someone make me understand why?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As the seeing took place in the past, we need a past tense - 'saw'

The not-seeing extends from the past up to the present time, so the present perfect is correct.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In some English test I was instructed to complete the below sentence:

'Enrico has ...... the day they left schoool' using between 2 and 6 words including the word given (in this case the word 'seen') so that the meaning of the sentence quoted in the subject matter of this thread was preserved.

I wrote:

The correct answers was:

Is my answer unacceptable, awkward, unnatural sounding? If it is, could someone make me understand why?
I assume this is a comprehension test, and that it's true that "
Enrico has not seen Gloria since the day they left school".
To mean this, you need:
"Enrico last saw Gloria on the day they left school."
"Enrico saw Gloria last on the day they left school." Not as good, imo.
"Enrico saw Gloria for the last time on the day they left school." The extra words don't add anything.
(I'd use 'on' in all cases).

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I assume this is a comprehension test, and that it's true that "
Enrico has not seen Gloria since the day they left school".
To mean this, you need:
"Enrico last saw Gloria on the day they left school."
"Enrico saw Gloria last on the day they left school." Not as good, imo.
"Enrico saw Gloria for the last time on the day they left school." The extra words don't add anything.
(I'd use 'on' in all cases).

Thank you for bringing this up. Indeed I had been unclear about the rules regarding 'the day I did something' versus 'on the day I did something'.

I will from now on insist on 'on the day...'

In the BNC I found this example:

'If you start getting twitchy towards the end, and develop a migraine the day you get back, that's probably as good an indicator as any that your stress level is affecting your health.'

Would you insist on 'on the day you get back ...', or is 'the day' in this instance fine as it is in 'the day after/before'?

Regarding 'for the last time' I would like to know if both below sentences are fine:

'When did you do this for the last time?'
'When was the last time you did this?'

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for bringing this up. Indeed I had been unclear about the rules regarding 'the day I did something' versus 'on the day I did something'.

I will from now on insist on 'on the day...'

In the BNC I found this example:

'If you start getting twitchy towards the end, and develop a migraine the day you get back, that's probably as good an indicator as any that your stress level is affecting your health.'

Would you insist on 'on the day you get back ...', or is 'the day' in this instance fine as it is in 'the day after/before'?
'On' is not necessary here. Sometimes it's clearer.

Regarding 'for the last time' I would like to know if both below sentences are fine:

'When did you do this for the last time?'
'When was the last time you did this?'
Yes, this is how I'd write them.
I would not 'insist' on 'on'. Nor would I insist on 'for' in "I saw her for the last time yesterday", though I would certainly use it. "The last time I saw her was yesterday" doesn't need 'For'.

I notice that this is the second time 'insist' has been used here recently following a recommendation. It's not "insisting" to say that one would prefer a certain form.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I would not 'insist' on 'on'. Nor would I insist on 'for' in "I saw her for the last time yesterday", though I would certainly use it. "The last time I saw her was yesterday" doesn't need 'For'.

I notice that this is the second time 'insist' has been used here recently following a recommendation. It's not "insisting" to say that one would prefer a certain form.

Thank you.

Why did I use 'insist'? For one thing, I like to experiment with as many different words as possible in this forum knowing that I am likely to be corrected whenever I err.
When I used the word 'insist' I did not mean a recommendation or preference. What I meant by saying, 'Would you insist on this?' was, 'Would you find this necessary/compulsory/only correct etc.?'

Status
Not open for further replies.