• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Meaning of the sentence

...... To start with, at its 2009 meeting in Honduras, the Organization of American States, the membership of which is coterminous with that of the recent Summit, repealed its 1962 resolution excluding Cuba.

Please help me in finding the meaning of the above sentence. Specially the arrangement of commas i.e. how we should read the sentence if multiple commas are there.

Thanks in advance.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meaning of the sentence

(To start with) at its 2009 meeting in Honduras, the Organization of American States (the membership of which is coterminous with that of the recent Summit) repealed its 1962 resolution excluding Cuba.

Does that help?

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another approach.
    This is the first thing I want to say: The Organization of American States repealed its 1962 resolution excluding Cuba.
    The Organization of American States did this at its 2009 meeting in Honduras.

The membership of Organization the of American States is coterminous with the membership of the recent summit -- I have NO IDEA what this means.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Here's another approach.
    This is the first thing I want to say: The Organization of American States repealed its 1962 resolution excluding Cuba.
    The Organization of American States did this at its 2009 meeting in Honduras.

The membership of Organization the of American States is coterminous with the membership of the recent summit -- I have NO IDEA what this means.
    It seems to be an extremely confusing way to say no member state was absent at the meeting.

TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I googled and found the sentence that had originally appeared in one of India's better newspapers.

(2) "[T]he recent Summit" refers to the (6th?) Summit of the Americas just held in Colombia (where some bodyguards of the American

president engaged in some naughty behavior). The Summit in 2009 was apparently No. 5.

(3) I guess that the membership of the Organization of American States in 2009 was the same as it was at the recent 2012 Summit. I

guess that an American newspaper would not have used the word "coterminous."

(4) You want the "meaning" and the use of so many commas:

(a) The OAS repealed its 1962 resolution excluding Cuba. (That's the "meat" of the sentence. Everything else is "extra.")
    (b) As I said, 2009's members seem to be the same as 2012's members.
    (c) "To start with" is just a way to introduce the sentence. The writer could have written, "First, at its 2009 ...."
    (d) "at its 2009 meeting in Honduras" is "out of place." It should have followed "the Organization of American States," but the writer could not do this because she/he wanted the words "the membership of which ....recent Summit" to immediately come after the words "Organization of American States."
    (e) It would have been difficult to understand if the writer had written:

First, the Organization of American States at its 2009 meeting in Honduras, the membership of which is coterminous with that of the recent Summit, repealed its 1962 resolution excluding Cuba.

As you can see, putting "the membership of which ... recent Summit" after the word "Honduras" would not have made sense.

(5) I also think that the writer should have written "the membership of which was ...."