Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Oxford dictionary: the period of time at the end of the day, usually from about 6 p.m. to bedtime.

When we say "in the evening", is it from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.?

Thanks for your help!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are no precise start and end times for evening. In the winter when it gets dark earlier, "evening" can start earlier. If you're going to dinner and a show and then for last dessert after, your evening can extend into the early morning hours.

However, if someone says "The school concert is Tuesday evening" then you can probably use "sometime between 6 pm and 10 pm" as a guide. (Most school events don't go very late.)

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There are no precise start and end times for evening. In the winter when it gets dark earlier, "evening" can start earlier. If you're going to dinner and a show and then for last dessert after, your evening can extend into the early morning hours.

However, if someone says "The school concert is Tuesday evening" then you can probably use "sometime between 6 pm and 10 pm" as a guide. (Most school events don't go very late.)

Thanks Barb_D,

If we say "I arrived in New York at 10p.m., should we say " I arrived in New York in the evening or at night"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either one would be fine. That would "late evening" for most people. You could say "I got in around 10 in the evening" or I got in around 10 at night" or just "I got in around 10 pm."

Status
Not open for further replies.