Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Spain
Hello everyone! I need some help with this idiom as I am not sure if it is correct.

A bird in a gilded cage is still not free.

I want to get it as a tattoo, but of course I want to make sure it makes sense. I have wanted to get a tattoo for many years, but I never felt like I had the right image or phrase for one, until now. I think it might be helpful for others to understand why this phrase resonates with me, so here is some more info.

I am a 24 year old Canadian female who wants nothing more than to travel the world. After returning from a year abroad in South Korea, I realized I wasn't ready to settle down. I told my very traditional parents this, and they pretty much told me that I should instead focus on getting a good paying job (even if I hate it) so I can buy a house and get a nicer car (basically acquire more material wealth). I think that would be fine if I wanted those things, but I don't.

I don't think the above is a common idiom, but a variation on the idioms a gilded cage is still a cage and a bird in a gilded cage.

Please let me know if it is correct. Also, variations on the phrase are very welcome!

I was toying with the idea of a bird in a gilded cage is still trapped, but it doesn't roll off the tongue that well.

Thanks for reading :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's rather long for a tattoo. "A gilded cage is still a prison" is a little shorter. Even so, I would suggest you talk to a lot of people already wearing ink for their view on such a long phrase. I think there's a reason most tattoo that consist of words are single words: Mom, or a child's name. All I can say is, it hurt so much more than I had expected it to, but once the first dot is in, you're committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.