• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a lot of, lots

A non-native English teacher said, " a lot of/lots of" is used in positive statement only. He also said "In negative statement, we use many/much. However, when I googled "I don't have a lof of friends,I saw many people using " a lot of/lots of" in negative statement. Please see below.

By Courtney Hazlett
    It probably isn't the easiest thing in the world, having six kids, a career that takes you all over the globe and looks that might be intimidating to the other moms at school drop-off. Which might be why Angelina Jolie's admission that she doesn't have a ton of girlfriends might not qualify as shocking news.

The actress, currently doing press to promote her directorial debut, "In the Land of Blood and Honey" told Marie Clare, "Well, I have a few girlfriends. I just ... I stay at home a lot. I don't do a lot with them, and I'm very homebound."

That's not to say that Jolie has no one to talk to: her slightly famous husband Brad Pitt serves as her primary sounding board. "I talk to my family," she says. "I talk to Brad ... But I don't know, I don't have a lot of friends I talk to. He really is the only person I talk to."

Could anyone clarify, please?

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: a lot of, lots

Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    A non-native English teacher said, " a lot of/lots of" is used in positive statement only. He also said "In negative statement, we use many/much. However, when I googled "I don't have a lof of friends,I saw many people using " a lot of/lots of" in negative statement. Please see below.

By Courtney Hazlett
    It probably isn't the easiest thing in the world, having six kids, a career that takes you all over the globe and looks that might be intimidating to the other moms at school drop-off. Which might be why Angelina Jolie's admission that she doesn't have a ton of girlfriends might not qualify as shocking news.

The actress, currently doing press to promote her directorial debut, "In the Land of Blood and Honey" told Marie Clare, "Well, I have a few girlfriends. I just ... I stay at home a lot. I don't do a lot with them, and I'm very homebound."

That's not to say that Jolie has no one to talk to: her slightly famous husband Brad Pitt serves as her primary sounding board. "I talk to my family," she says. "I talk to Brad ... But I don't know, I don't have a lot of friends I talk to. He really is the only person I talk to."

Could anyone clarify, please?

"I don't have a lot of..." is correct and very commonly used. as are "I don't do a lot of...", "I don't see a lot of..." etcetera.

Winwin2011 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "I don't have a lot of..." is correct and very commonly used. as are "I don't do a lot of...", "I don't see a lot of..." etcetera.

Thanks a lot,bhaisahab.

In the followiong sentence, are "in positive statement" and ""in positive statements" both correct ?

A non-native English teacher said, " a lot of/lots of" is used in positive statement only.

Thanks.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    Thanks a lot,bhaisahab.

In the followiong sentence, are "in positive statement" and ""in positive statements" both correct ?

A non-native English teacher said, " a lot of/lots of" is used in positive statement only.

Thanks.

Use the plural. Or an article.

... "a lot of" is used only in positive statements.
    ... use "a lot of" only in a positive statement.
    but not: ... use "a lot of" only in positive statement.

Don't worry. Articles are very hard. You'll get there.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.