Is "POS" a common word in every day conversation when you're shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
In my country we call this POS (although we have coined an equivalent for that). Do you call it POS as well? Are there any other equivalents for that? When we want to pay we just simply say: "Excuse me, do you have a POS?" and then if the answer is yes, we pay by card. Do you also use it in this way? If yes do you pronounce it as /poz/?
Thanks a lot.
View attachment 1311

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi
In my country we call this POS (although we have coined an equivalent for that). Do you call it POS as well? Are there any other equivalents for that? When we want to pay we just simply say: "Excuse me, do you have a POS?" and then if the answer is yes, we pay by card. Do you also use it in this way? If yes do you pronounce it as /poz/?
Thanks a lot.
View attachment 1311

I've never heard of "POS".

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I've never heard of "POS".

Really! I found that it stands for "Point Of Sale". It seems that it's not an English word by itself. I thought it's an international abbreviation. So could you kindly tell me what you call it? Imagine when you go shopping and you want to make sure the shopkeeper has this gadget or not, instead of just saying "can I pay by card?" what other things do you typically say? I mean if you want to say if the shopkeeper has one of these things?
Thanks a lot.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Really! I found that it stands for "Point Of Sale". It seems that it's not an English word by itself. I thought it's an international abbreviation. So could you kindly tell me what you call it? Imagine when you go shopping and you want to make sure the shopkeeper has this gadget or not, instead of just saying "can I pay by card?" what other things do you typically say? I mean if you want to say if the shopkeeper has one of these things?
Thanks a lot.

I would say "Can I pay by card?". The machine in the picture is called a "chip and pin reader."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's so common to use your debit (or credit card) to pay for things here that you rarely need to even ask. Even fast food restaurants have that capability. We would call that a credit card scanner or a debit card reader. Aside from the drive through window, I use my debit card almost exclusively. Cash? What's that?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can use my debit card or credit card at a drive through.

People who make cash registers or other business machines, etc. refer to "point of sale" or POS, but it's not used by normal people.

I think many people would hear POS and think "piece of s@#t," like "that used car is a complete POS."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't ask if they have the relevant machine. I would just ask "Do you take cards?" or "Can I pay by card?" Some places can still accept payment using a debit/credit card even if they don't have a POS machine. I knew what POS meant but only because I have worked in shops. Even so, when we talk about one in the shop, we just call it a "card machine".

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here in Canada the term is also frequent, but is pronounced with all letters named.

Hi
Thanks a lot.
View attachment 1311

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The term exists in BrE, but is not used in everyday speech- it's jargon to me.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would add that on those rare occasions when I would use the term POS, I too would say "pee oh ess," not "paws" or "poss" to refer to it.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A lot of people just ask 'Do you take plastic?' (Of course you could be asking whether they're a recycling centre for plastic toys [;-)], but the context makes the question unambiguous.) Maybe this use of 'plastic' to mean 'credit and/or debit cards' is a British thing, and strangely, it doesn't seem to apply to loyalty cards; if MrsK calls out to me 'Don't forget to take some plastic' as I leave to go shopping, she means Visa or Mastercard - not my TopMan loyalty card (if I had one). ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.