Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!

"Each time she did it right, the man gave her a slice of banana.".

I thinks it should be or it's better to be "..., the man would give...".

Thanks.

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Is this sentence correct?

Hello!

"[STRIKE]Each time[/STRIKE] Whenever she did it right, the man gave her a slice of banana.".

I [STRIKE]thinks[/STRIKE] think it should be or it's better to be "..., the man would give...". No, it changes the meaning of the sentence:Whenever she did it right, the man would give…” - She has not yet received any bananas as she has not done it right so far.

Or in the past: - “If
she had done it right, the man would have given….. - She did it not right and she has no chance any more to get any bananas.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Each time she did it right, the man gave her a slice of banana.".
That is acceptable.

I think[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] it should be or it's better to be "..., the man would give...".
That form is also acceptable. It's neither better nor worse.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"[STRIKE]Each time[/STRIKE] Whenever she did it right, the man gave her a slice of banana.".

I [STRIKE]thinks[/STRIKE] think it should be or it's better to be "..., the man would give...". No, it changes the meaning of the sentence:Whenever she did it right, the man would give…” - She has not yet received any bananas as she has not done it right so far.
No. royal's original sentence is fine. 'Would can' be used for things that happened regularly in the past.

You are confusing this with the hypothetical 'If she did it right, the man would give ...'. Depending on the context, this could mean that shes does not (present/general) or is unlikely to (future) do it right. It can also mean, in the right context, something very similar to the original sentene.

ps. Please use a darker colour for your responses. I found your yellow hard to read.

royal999

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"thinks" was a typo and thank you for correction.

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
No. royal's original sentence is fine. 'Would can' be used for things that happened regularly in the past.

You are confusing this with the hypothetical 'If she did it right, the man would give ...'. Depending on the context, this could mean that shes does not (present/general) or is unlikely to (future) do it right. It can also mean, in the right context, something very similar to the original sentene.

ps. Please use a darker colour for your responses. I found your yellow hard to read.

---------------------

Thank you 5jj – you are dead right. Hm, I seem to need a break.

Another thing: I’ll use a dark color for my responses in the future, but one of us must be color blind – I used wine red for my sentences, not yellow. Actually, it is quite a dark color.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.