Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Here is a part of an English test I struggled with of late.

Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense.

My friend Jessica 13) ................ (recently/change) jobs. She 14) ...........................(work) as a nurse but she 15) ...................... (decide) she wanted to do something different, so she 16) ...............(train) to be a primary school teacher. At the moment, she 17) ..............(work) in a temporary job in a school near Leeds. She really 18) .......................... (enjoy) her work. Soon, she 19) ................... / ........................ (aaply) for a permanent job wchich she hopes she 19) ........................ (get).

My answers were following:

13) has recently been changing the expected answer was: has recently changed

14) had worked same as expected

15) decided same as expected

16) was training the expected answer was: trained

17) is working same as expected

18) enjoys same as expected

19) will be applying / will apply the expected answers were: is going to apply / will apply

20) will get same as expected

My question of course is this: is any of my answers (where different from those expected) acceptable?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You won't find this very helpful, I am afraid, but I hate (and I mean 'hate') this kind of exercise. The person who set it is in effect asking you to guess what the 'speaker' here might have been thinking. This is not what normally happens to learners who are trying to communicate in English

OK, I got that off my chest.
My friend Jessica 13) ................ (recently/change) jobs. She 14) ...........................(work) as a nurse but she 15) ...................... (decide) she wanted to do something different, so she 16) ...............(train) to be a primary school teacher. At the moment, she 17) ..............(work) in a temporary job in a school near Leeds. She really 18) .......................... (enjoy) her work. Soon, she 19) ................... / ........................ (aaply) for a permanent job wchich she hopes she 19) ........................ (get).

13) has recently been changing the expected answer was: has recently changed
'Recently changed' or 'has recently changed' works best here

14) had worked same as expected
'Had worked' is fine; 'had been working' is also acceptable.

15) decided same as expected :tick:

16) was training the expected answer was: trained
'Trained' is what we want. 'There is no reason/need for a progressive form, though 'has been training' is possible.

17) is working same as expected :tick:

18) enjoys same as expected
'Is enjoying' is also acceptable.

19) will be applying / will apply the expected answers were: is going to apply / will apply
My choices, in order of prefernce are: 1. will be applying; 2. is going to apply: 3. will apply. I am sure that others will think differently.
20) will get same as expected
I'd also accept 'gets'.

Status
Not open for further replies.