Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Grammar check for Russian student

    Please check my grammar, any advice would be great. Excuse my poor English. Thank you in advance.


    The Vietnamese Theatrical production “Paris by the Night” exemplified the historical culture of Vietnamese culture through dances, singing and comedy. The story driven performance succeeds in bringing together the older generation of “opera” singers with the current generation of American Vietnamese.
    The introduction opens with a scene of a family growing up in the pre-1975 Fall of Saigon. This opening scene proves to be an effective vehicle for the older generation of Vietnamese to retell their life to the younger generation, prior to fall of Vietnam. The mother uses the technique of “opera” singing, which was the traditional way of singing in Vietnam. The young son effectively uses the string like instrument “Dion” to play a music piece about the life in Vietnam. However, his high-pitched singing lacked any sustainable vibration needed for traditional Vietnamese “Opera”. The scene ended with military men taking the mother’s son away to go to war. This was an effective way to show how the war affected future generation of Vietnamese and to bring in the second act of the play.
    While the first act was gloomy, the second act relied on comedy to shift the mood of the play. The comical relief in this act is the “Americanized-Vietnamese” son who acts, thinks, and speaks like an American. Like the previous actor, his singing did not have any creditable feel to it, since his accent made it hard to hear his lyrics. The mother is an effective figure through her scolding and mockery of the American language of her son Americanized life. Before the son goes off to college, the mother stops her son by deriding the son’s “Americanized” attitude and explaining to him what life was like in Vietnam. Overall, the alternation of seriousness and satire approach effectively broke new ground since it was never done before in Vietnamese production. The only shortcoming is the short length and the mediocre singing by both sons in both of the acts.

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Grammar check for Russian student

    Overall, not bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgamers View Post


    The Vietnamese Theatrical production “Paris by the Night” exemplified the historical culture of Vietnamese culture through dances, singing and comedy. The story driven performance succeeds in bringing together the older generation of “opera” singers with the current generation of American Vietnamese.
    Say: story-driven
    Why did you put opera in quotes? (Prefer: opera.)

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgamers View Post
    The introduction opens with a scene of a family growing up in the pre-1975 Fall of Saigon. This opening scene proves to be an effective vehicle for the older generation of Vietnamese to retell their life to the younger generation, prior to fall of Vietnam. The mother uses the technique of “opera” singing, which was the traditional way of singing in Vietnam. The young son effectively uses the string like instrument “Dion” to play a music piece about the life in Vietnam. However, his high-pitched singing lacked any sustainable vibration needed for traditional Vietnamese “Opera”. The scene ended with military men taking the mother’s son away to go to war. This was an effective way to show how the war affected future generation of Vietnamese and to bring in the second act of the play.
    Say The play opens.
    Put dion in italics rather than in quotes.
    Say: "future generations of Vietnamese"

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgamers View Post
    While the first act was gloomy, the second act relied on comedy to shift the mood of the play. The comical relief in this act is the “Americanized-Vietnamese” son who acts, thinks, and speaks like an American. Like the previous actor, his singing did not have any creditable feel to it, since his accent made it hard to hear his lyrics. The mother is an effective figure through her scolding and mockery of the American language of her son Americanized life. Before the son goes off to college, the mother stops her son by deriding the son’s “Americanized” attitude and explaining to him what life was like in Vietnam. Overall, the alternation of seriousness and satire approach effectively broke new ground since it was never done before in Vietnamese production. The only shortcoming is the short length and the mediocre singing by both sons in both of the acts.
    Say: "his accent made it hard to understand the lyrics"
    Say: "it had never been done before"
    Say: The only shortcomings are the play's brevity and...."



    (Sorry for the late reply.)


Similar Threads

  1. Is there a grammar of spoken English?
    By M56 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2009, 01:58
  2. Grammar Check for Russian Student
    By mrgamers in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2006, 20:13
  3. Please check for grammar mistakes
    By mystical in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2005, 23:35
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2004, 08:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •