Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    xuzheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Might the reason for this be ...........

    I read of this sentence"Might the reason for this be my containers don't do well." from a book.
    Is this sentence wrong? If not, what is the reason that you can write like that?

  2. #2
    Calis's Avatar
    Calis is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Might the reason for this be ...........

    Why might this sentence be wrong? Why do you think this sentence is wrong? The only problem is that it doesn't have a question mark when it is a question.

    [Not a teacher]

  3. #3
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Might the reason for this be ...........

    Quote Originally Posted by xuzheng View Post
    I read of this sentence"Might the reason for this be my containers don't do well." from a book.
    Is this sentence wrong? If not, what is the reason that you can write like that?
    Modals (e.g. might, should, could, can etc.) are often used as lead words to form questions.

  4. #4
    TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Might the reason for this be ...........

    Quote Originally Posted by xuzheng View Post
    what is the reason that you can write like that?
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    English speakers sometimes start a question with "might" for many reasons:

    1. They want to be super careful.

    2. They want to be very polite.

    3. They are not sure about the facts.

    4. They are hesitant to say something (They don't want to say something, but they decide to say it).

    5. They do not want to say something directly (that is, in a very clear -- and sometimes unkind -- manner).

    *****

    For example, many people in ordinary conversation might ask:

    Is the reason for this the fact that my containers don't do well?

    When you use the "might" sentence, the question is softer.

    *****

    (The Parser cannot get a job) Might the reason be that he lacks the right qualifications? (It's too brutal to say: Is the reason the fact that he is stupid?)

    (Mona cannot get a job) Might the reason be that she is a female? (Too brutal: Is the reason the fact that the managers are prejudiced against females?)

    (Mr. X claims that people dislike him because of his race) Might the real reason be that he is a very unpleasant person? (Too brutal: Is the real reason the fact that he is a rude and obnoxious person who is hated by everyone?)

    *****

    Credit: The uses of "might" are explained in many books, including the Longman English Grammar by the beloved teacher L.G. Alexander. All of the examples in this post are mine -- not his. I am completely responsible for any mistakes.

  5. #5
    xuzheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Calis

    Quote Originally Posted by Calis View Post
    Why might this sentence be wrong? Why do you think this sentence is wrong? The only problem is that it doesn't have a question mark when it is a question.

    [Not a teacher]
    Is it possible that he is Using" might" to talk about something that is possible? Can we change this sentence to "maybe the reason for this be......"?

  6. #6
    xuzheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Might the reason for this be ...........

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Modals (e.g. might, should, could, can etc.) are often used as lead words to form questions.
    If might were a modal verb there ,it would be correct.

  7. #7
    xuzheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Might the reason for this be ...........

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    English speakers sometimes start a question with "might" for many reasons:

    1. They want to be super careful.

    2. They want to be very polite.

    3. They are not sure about the facts.

    4. They are hesitant to say something (They don't want to say something, but they decide to say it).

    5. They do not want to say something directly (that is, in a very clear -- and sometimes unkind -- manner).

    *****

    For example, many people in ordinary conversation might ask:

    Is the reason for this the fact that my containers don't do well?

    When you use the "might" sentence, the question is softer.

    *****

    (The Parser cannot get a job) Might the reason be that he lacks the right qualifications? (It's too brutal to say: Is the reason the fact that he is stupid?)

    (Mona cannot get a job) Might the reason be that she is a female? (Too brutal: Is the reason the fact that the managers are prejudiced against females?)

    (Mr. X claims that people dislike him because of his race) Might the real reason be that he is a very unpleasant person? (Too brutal: Is the real reason the fact that he is a rude and obnoxious person who is hated by everyone?)

    *****

    Credit: The uses of "might" are explained in many books, including the Longman English Grammar by the beloved teacher L.G. Alexander. All of the examples in this post are mine -- not his. I am completely responsible for any mistakes.
    thank you so much!!!

  8. #8
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Calis

    Quote Originally Posted by xuzheng View Post
    Is it possible that he is Using" might" to talk about something that is possible?
    Well, he is asking about the possibility of something.


    Can we change this sentence to "maybe the reason for this be is ......"?
    No. That's not a question.
    5
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  9. #9
    xuzheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Calis

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    5
    Ok thank you!!!

  10. #10
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Might the reason for this be ...........

    Quote Originally Posted by xuzheng View Post
    If might were a modal verb there ,it would be correct.
    'Might' is a modal verb.

    Note that we leave a space after a puntuation mark, not before it.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] reason(s) to believe
    By yuriya in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2010, 16:07
  2. The reason... is because...
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2010, 17:49
  3. Asking for a reason.
    By malta22 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2009, 21:56
  4. convincable reason?reasonable reason?
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2008, 20:45
  5. Reason/Reason why
    By FirstScript in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Mar-2008, 16:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk