[General] What does phrase "be back on schedule" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhatruc30

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear all.

I am listening to a recording of an announcement about flights, but I'm not able to understand the following sentence.
(we are almost back on schedule). Please see the under transcript.
If somebody knows, please explain it to me.
I'm expecting from you.
Your sincerely

Truc

-----------------------------
IN FLIGHT
James is now on the plane.
1. Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. This is your captain, Tom Brown. We'd like to welcome you aboard flight 811 and to apologize for the delay. We had some bumpy weather over the Atlantic, and arrived late from London. Now we are experiencing another slight delay as we wait for clearance from Air Traffic Control. We don't expect it will be more than five minutes, and we hope to arrive in Los Angeles at about 7:30 local time.
2. This is the captain again. I just wanted to apologize again for the delays and to let you know that we are almost back on schedule. Our Boeing 767 is cruising at an altitude of about 30,000 feet at an airspeed of, oh, around 560 miles per hour. We are above the state of Maryland and that's Washington, DC, over to the left of the plane. The temperature in Los Angeles is 790 Fahrenheit (that's 260 Centigrade), and it's sunny and clear-really unusual for Los Angeles. We ask that while you are in your seats you keep your seat belts fastened, just in case we hit some unexpected turbulence.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The flight has a schedule - a set time when it is due to leave/arrive. When the captain says it is 'back on schedule' he is saying either that it will arrive at the time originally set or - more probably, given the second delay - at the newly set time (the revised time of arrival, set after the initial delay).

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The flight has a schedule - a set time when it is due to leave/arrive. When the captain says it is 'back on schedule' he is saying either that it will arrive at the time originally set or - more probably, given the second delay - at the newly set time (the revised time of arrival, set after the initial delay).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.