Is "the /t/ sound" and "the /j/ sound" pronounced as "ch sound" in all the words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is "the /t/ sound" and "the /j/ sound" pronounced as "ch sound" in all the words?

Hi
Sorry I didn't know how to insert the phonetic transcription of the sound so I used the letter to mean the sounds. For example in a word like "opportunity" is it OK to pronounce it as opprCHunity? I'm used to pronouncing it like this. However, today I was looking up the word in the dictionary but neither in CALD nor in LAAD I could find this phonetic transcription. The only thing I found was /oppertjuniti/ or /oppertuniti/.

Thanks a million.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: Is "the /t/ sound" and "the /j/ sound" pronounced as "ch sound" in all the words?

Both the Longman Pronunciation Dictionary and the Cambridge English pronouncing Dictionary give the /ʧ/ (CH) version as a possibility. It's common, though 'careful' speakers try to avoid it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Is "the /t/ sound" and "the /j/ sound" pronounced as "ch sound" in all the words?

It would sound very odd to me to hear "ch" in "opportunity.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

There is a difference between the BrE and AmE pronunciations of the word even without the "ch" sound.

BrE - opp-uh-t-you-n-uh-ty (I don't do phonetics!)
AmE - opp-uh-too-n-uh-ty

I've tried pronouncing it the AmE way, using the "ch" sound, but it's very difficult and sounds very unnatural. In BrE, however, it's very common and becomes "opp-uh-choo-n-uh-ty".

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK

The "ch" sound is very natural to me and I am a BrE speaker.

For some reason, the hard "T" pronunciation conjures up visions of an American or a Canadian with a gay lisp - it bugs me no end.

When "eyechunes" becomes "eyeToons" and "Antony Hopkins" becomes "AnTHony Hopkins" - do you not sense the overtly clean and anodyne quality of the spoken words? Or is that just me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

For some reason, the hard "T" pronunciation conjures up visions of an American or a Canadian with a gay lisp - it bugs me no end.

I think it might be an idea to be careful suggesting that a particular way of speaking is "gay" and I really don't see how the use of "t" as opposed to "ch" could have anything to do with having a lisp, which is simply the inability to pronounce the sibilant "s".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

AmE
- opp-uh-too-n-uh-ty

That's not even close to how I would say it.

I would include an "r." Opp-ur-toon-i-ty

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States

It depends on which dialect you are aiming for. For instance, I hear my Australian colleague saying "chune" for tune. He also says choonity when he utters opportunity. The context: palatalization in the stressed onsets. In American dialects at least, it is not the case.

Then there are L2 speakers, who have a mishmash of phonetic and phonological features from all dialects.

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I find that /t/ and /d/ change to /tʃ/ (ch) and // (j) respectively when it occurs before a /j/ (y) + a vowel. I believe it's because when articulating /j/, you move your tongue to the hard palate – near to where you articulate /tʃ/ & /dʒ/ – and the alveolar stop becomes a post-alveolar affricate in the cross-over.

[Not a teacher]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

That's not even close to how I would say it.

I would include an "r." Opp-ur-toon-i-ty

A couple of hours after I posted it, I ran through an American pronunciation in my head and realised that my "uh" should have been your "ur" but by the time I came back to the forum, I couldn't find the post. Thanks for pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.