Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think you can rephrase "such things as proportions" to "things such as proportions", right? Is "such A as B" always convertible to "A such as B" or does it depend? This is seriously important as it's a question of a mid-term exam.

st11
ex)In the middle of the thirteenth century, Matthew Paris drew a picture of an elephant, which was the first elephant that had been seen in England. ...But what is interesting is that in this case the artist was very anxious to get the right proportions. Between the legs of the elephant there is a Latin inscription saying : 'By the size of the man portrayed here you may imagine the size of the beast represented here.' To us this elephant may look a little odd, but it does show that medieval artists, at least in the thirteenth century, were very well aware of such things as proportions...

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't know why I can't use lines, font, size, etc for editing here. There must be some error in this website and I probably have to install something. I have to try 10 times to underline something. That's probably why teachers didn't respond to my question without indicating a specific line.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can rewrite it that way, but I think the rewrite loses some focus on the issue- it makes it just one of those things, while the original makes it look important.

There's been an update of the software and things can take a day or two to bed in.
Apologies for the inconvenience.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am uncomfortable saying "always."
In this case, there seems little different.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Never say always, well almost never.

Status
Not open for further replies.