Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I am having a hard time understanding what is a tonic syllable and an onset syllable. :roll: I missed the lecture at my University on this, and my friend who attended tried briefing it to me.

What I understood from her briefing is: a tonic syllable is the stressed syllable of the main word of a sentence. As in: She lives in London.

But I am not sure if it's a correct definition/example.:-?

About onset syllables, I have only the definition: The syllables that establish a pitch that stays constant up to the tonic syllable are called onset syllables, as in: She lives in London. but my friend said that "Lon" is tonic syllable and "don" is an onset syllables.

I don't speak English as my native language and neither did I study in an English medium school; may be that's why I am having a tough time understanding the definitions.:-(

I'd appreciate any sort of help regarding this, I have my final exam tomorrow and I feel helpless.:cry:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Only a brief answer, as intonation is not my strong point. Your friend's explanation of 'tonic syllable' is, broadly speaking, correct. The onset syllable is the one bearing a secondary stress that starts the pitch. In your sentence, 'lives' is the onset, 'Lon' the tonic.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes; one additional way to think about the distinction is to note that tonic accent syllables are clearly stronger and louder than the others; onset accented syllables are set apart more by rhythm and a sing-song tone of voice, as seen in Italian: internazion'ale.

That's the way I learnt it.

Only a brief answer, as intonation is not my strong point. Your friend's explanation of 'tonic syllable' is, broadly speaking, correct. The onset syllable is the one bearing a secondary stress that starts the pitch. In your sentence, 'lives' is the onset, 'Lon' the tonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.