Is this simple future or some thing else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhatruc30

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear all

When reading following sentence that be underlined and extracted from announcement about flights. Anyway I can't understand it and ask myself. Is it a sentence of simple future or some tenses else? If it is simple future, why not hold instead of holding.
Formal of simple future.

Subject will verb complement.
Will subject verb complement?

If somebody knows it, please give me explanation.
I'm expecting for your reply

Your sincerely
Truc

-------------------------
AT THE AIRPORT
James is at the Air USA terminal at the airport. He's already checked in. He's been through the security check, and he's gone to the gate to wait for his flight.
1. This is the last call for flight 932 to Syracuse, now boarding at Gate 14. Scheduled departure time is 3:25 PM.
2. Flight 217 with nonstop service to Caracas is boarding at Gate 34. The flight is ten minutes behind schedule and will depart at 3:40 PM.
3. Flight 558, with service to Hartford, Connecticut, and Springfield, Massachusetts, is now ready for boarding at Gate 26. The flight will depart on schedule at 3:45 PM.
4. Air USA flight 563 to Detroit is now preboarding. Passengers with small children or who require special help in boarding should go now to Gate 12. The flight will leave as scheduled at 4:30.
5. Will Air USA passenger Rita Chambers holding a ticket on flight 67, scheduled to depart for San Francisco at 4:30, please go to Gate 32 for a new seat assignment prior to boarding? Ms. Rita Chambers, please report to Gate 32.
6. Passengers for Los Angeles, may I please have your attention. Air USA's nonstop service to Los Angeles, flight 811, scheduled to depart at 4:30 has been delayed due to late arrival from London. Flight 811 will now depart at 4:50 from Gate 30. Boarding will begin in 15 minutes.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Will Air USA passenger Rita Chambers (holding a ticket on flight 67, scheduled to depart for San Francisco at 4:30) please go to Gate 32 for a new seat assignment prior to boarding?

Is that any better?

William Jones

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is worth pointing out that the sentence in its barest sense, as pointed out by 5jj, ("Will Rita Chambers go?") is a question and can, therefore, be inverted to form a statement ("Rita Chambers will go."); "will go" is simply future tense--no muss, no fuss.

J. Jones

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is worth pointing out that the sentence in its barest sense, as pointed out by 5jj, ("Will Rita Chambers go?") is a question and can, therefore, be inverted to form a statement ("Rita Chambers will go."); "will go" is simply future tense--no muss, no fuss.
For those of us who do not believe that English has a future tense, 'will go' is simply one of several ways of expressing the future.

William Jones

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Valid point. I suppose I'm a bit staid in my thinking about English grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.