1. Anonymous

formal grammar teaching

How important is formal grammar teaching. I feel that some is neccessary but am not a fan of learning by rote. Any hints?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: formal grammar teaching

Quote Originally Posted by mstewart
    How important is formal grammar teaching. I feel that some is neccessary but am not a fan of learning by rote. Any hints?
    Well, to my knowledge, the argument has always been that since young children learn language without being taught formal grammar, knowing how a language works isn't really all that necessary in terms of learning how to communicate basic wants and needs. However, IMHO, knowing how a language works allows one to use communication as a tool. Young children are neither successful at the art of argumentation nor competent in the art of persuasion. Moreover, language is power. Knowing how to use language not only moves nations it also brings them closer together.

:D

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: formal grammar teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by mstewart
    Well, to my knowledge, the argument has always been that since young children learn language without being taught formal grammar, knowing how a language works isn't really all that necessary in terms of learning how to communicate basic wants and needs. However, IMHO, knowing how a language works allows one to use communication as a tool. Young children are neither successful at the art of argumentation nor competent in the art of persuasion. Moreover, language is power. Knowing how to use language not only moves nations it also brings them closer together.

Excellent!