Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
England
Hi!
I'm from Sweden but I've just moved to London and a lot of people tells me that I have a "funny accent" haha. I was just wondering what the typical pronunciation mistakes are for Swedish people speaking English?
I can hear what's wrong if someone from, lets say India, speaks English, but when it comes to my own language I can't hear what's wrong :)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
www.manythings.org includes pronunciation exercises for speakers of English. And don't worry about your "funny accent". Everyone has one depending on what country or section of a country they visit.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There can be misplaced stress and some sounds that aren't quite right, but don't worry too much as they'll go or reduce. :up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I get very angry when ignorant native speakers of English mock the attempts of others to speak English.

But :)oops:) I have to admit that I had immense difficulty in controlling my mirth when I travelled from Tallinn to Stockhom on a Swedish ship once. I was sitting quietly having a drink in the large ball-room when the whole crew, one after another, starting with a cabin boy and finishing with the captain, stepped up on the stage to welcome the passengers aboard. I regret to say that they all sounded to me like this. :oops:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That chef has a lot to answer for. ;-)

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And I thought that in the Nordic countries, all the people know at least some English. Probably not that good at pronunciation, though.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Didn't think YouTube would have that one! I saw it first time around (on Not the Nine O'clock News - Sunday evenings will never be the same). ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.